• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers
AppleInsider | Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers
Samsung's Android-powered Galaxy Tab will be coming to all four major U.S. wireless carriers in the coming weeks and months, as the company hopes to compete with Apple's iPad in the booming touchscreen tablet market.

Samsung Galaxy Tab up on Amazon UK for equivalent of $1,063
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/15/galaxy.tab.shows.up.on.amazon.uk.for.1063/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
The Australian price was recently on engadget at $999aus. Really Samsung? Double the price of the basic iPad and still use Android 2.1, which Google specifically stated was a mobile platform? It's not designed for a tablet, period. Imho, neither is ios, but thats another topic...

Maybe if the galaxy ran an adapted windows 7 or a full Linux desktop it would be worth it.

I'm still waiting for cupertino to put osx (or something like it) on iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Here in the U.S. they will subsidized in the $300 price range (Last I read)
When it comes to Sprint I'm going to give it a shot provided it's a 4G version.
I don't intend on getting rid of my iPad,But I like do like to try out other toys.

Just checked with Sprint and the Galaxy Tab will run Android 2.2

update #2 No 4G on Sprint either, Maybe I won't be giving it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Here's what I have been able to gather so far, In the U.S. the phone functions have been stripped also it's strictly 3G/wifi only no 4G (only applies if you have Sprint) I applaud Samsung for going with all 4 major carriers,But this thing is lacking some features, Also I'm not a fan of it being sold subsidized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
They look decent, and I'd give one a spin. But I won't be buying one if they require a contract or if they cost $1000. Bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They look decent, and I'd give one a spin. But I won't be buying one if they require a contract or if they cost $1000. Bummer.

If you buy through your carrier you have 30 days to return it. I want to at least try one out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I wonder why they chose Android rather than Windows 7. It seems like the hardware could handle it, and a full OS might have made the price a little easier to swallow.

I guess that presents issues with the 3g radio control, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder why they chose Android rather than Windows 7. It seems like the hardware could handle it, and a full OS might have made the price a little easier to swallow.

I guess that presents issues with the 3g radio control, right?

Because Windows based touch devices have failed time and time again. Windows is not a touch based OS. Android is not necessary either but it's a much better choice than Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Maybe someone should come up with something better... sheesh.

I guess we will see what HP/palm can come up with. It would be so nice to see a real operating system for touch devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe someone should come up with something better... sheesh.

I guess we will see what HP/palm can come up with. It would be so nice to see a real operating system for touch devices.

HP has the Slate it runs Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I thought the slate got tabled?

Last I heard, the acquisition of palm was with the intent of making a webOS tablet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw a couple Youtube videos of a prototype Windows 7 HP Slate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
After your post I did I Google search- and there it was. That might be ok..... maybe... I'd like to give it a shot..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.