New to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro / 2.53
I have recently got a MacBook Pro 2.53GHz (MC372LL/A). It is my first experience with Mac (I've always worked on Windows - XP, 7).

Having lived with Windows structure, I am in the black about Mac.

1) First thing I need help and some insight on is the partitioning structure of Mac. In Windows there are I could partition my disk space into Drive C, D, E etc.
How is it in Mac?
Where do I manage my space? Where do I store my files in Mac?

2) My second concern is about sharing files from my PC (running Windows 7 Ultimate and my notebook running on Windows XP). How do I do that?

I have a lot of other questions about applications which I will post later.
I appreciate if anyone can help me with some solutions, tutorials etc. especially if they are graphical (with images and screenshots).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's see if we can briefly answer your questions.

1. Your MBP hard drive is partitioned as one drive ("MacIntosh HD") from the factory. There is no need to create partitions to store data, music, etc. However, if you feel a need to create partitions you can do so by using Disk Utility. However, your MBP will have to be booted with the install media in order to do so. A mounted active drive can not be partitioned.

2. Most likely your Windows files are stored on NTFS drives. Your Mac by default can not write to a NTFS drive but can read from one. Snow Leopard (your operating system) has the ability to read and write to and from NTFS but it is not by default turned on. It must be turned on. A small free utility called NTFS Mounter can be used to turn it on.

C

chas_m

1) First thing I need help and some insight on is the partitioning structure of Mac. In Windows there are I could partition my disk space into Drive C, D, E etc.
How is it in Mac?
Where do I manage my space? Where do I store my files in Mac?

Welcome to Macintosh.

One of the first things switchers like yourself often have trouble with is the concept that a high level of "management" is no longer necessary.

There is no practical reason to partition a Mac's hard drive. The one exception I can think of is if you wish to also run Windows (bad idea, at least at first IMO), in some cases that can require a disk partition. Generally, unless you have a VERY specific reason to partition, don't.

"Managing my space" -- sorry, don't quite know what you mean there. The Mac comes with a few preset folders (Pictures, Movies, Music) but by and large things tend to put THEMSELVES where they should go. Applications tend to want to be (and should be) in Applications. iPhoto will file your pictures in Pictures, iMovie will file your movies in iMovie, and iTunes will put your music in Music. All pretty obvious, really.

Misc. other files TEND to be left to wherever you want to put them. I generally recommend putting your stuff in your Home folder, specifically Documents with folders inside there to subdivide as you wish. But you are free (as with all the above except Applications) to file them wherever you want really.

One place I don't recommend you keep things (except very temporarily) is on the desktop. To cut an otherwise long explanation short, there are sound reasons (both practical and aesthetic) to keep the desktop clean. The Dock can prove a very capable assistant in being able to quickly get to any file you like.

I'd suggest you have a look at Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual for a lot more info on this, and also my essay for switchers.

2) My second concern is about sharing files from my PC (running Windows 7 Ultimate and my notebook running on Windows XP). How do I do that?

There are a variety of methods, depending mainly on what you mean by sharing. If the traffic is primarily going FROM pc TO Mac, a thumb drive or online Dropbox-like setup will probably serve. If you mean transfers of network files back and forth, others here will have better advice than I.

I appreciate if anyone can help me with some solutions, tutorials etc. especially if they are graphical (with images and screenshots).

If you haven't already, go have a read through Switch 101 and Mac 101.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.