Compile source code to DMG?

Reaction score
Hi, it's my first post. please go easy on me...and i hope i've posted this in the correct place!

I'm a very new Mac user, just switched over a couple weeks ago. Till now, i really really love the Mac! but i'm also at the same time missing this particular software i had on windows.

It's a subtitle editing software called Gaupol Subtitle Editor
I've been looking everywhere for a Mac version, but there seems to be only the source code available. I'm no programmer, all these things are alien to me! i tried reading up some tutorial, downloaded the Xcode, but i don't even know where to begin with...

Is it even possible to compile/convert the source code to a dmg file? or what are the ways i should follow to get this software on my Mac?

Really appreciate if someone could guide me step by step on what is to be done. I'm willing to learn, but please be very patient with me. I'm not in any bit tech savvy...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per their webpage:
Technically, it should run on Mac as well, but that has not been tested nor made convenient.
So, if it can be done, you're not going to have an easy time. Without actually knowing about the compilation process for it, I can see it depends on GTK which will only make things harder. You'll have to have a working copy of GTK on your machine. The best chance you have is to use a package manager but it appears that neither Fink nor MacPorts have it available. One possible way though would be to bootstrap pkgsrc from the NetBSD project and install it that way but if you're new to this, I'd suggest that you don't go down that route because you'll probably spend a lot of time fighting with it (although I don't know that for sure). My suggestion would be to find a suitable Mac alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello, Welcome to M-F :)

First of all, I have the nagging suspicion that you are using your applications from DMG files which is only meant to store the app till it is downloaded.
How to Install Software from DMG Files on a Mac

<See Vansmiths answer>

Have you looked for other software that can do the same thing?
Some of these are a bit old, make sure you have a backup of the files you are gonna edit just in case.
Download Subs Factory for Mac - Subtitles editor. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Download Jubler for Mac - Edit text-based subtitles; version 4.1.3 is available through the app. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

OP
T
Reaction score
As per their webpage:So, if it can be done, you're not going to have an easy time. Without actually knowing about the compilation process for it, I can see it depends on GTK which will only make things harder. You'll have to have a working copy of GTK on your machine. The best chance you have is to use a package manager but it appears that neither Fink nor MacPorts have it available. One possible way though would be to bootstrap pkgsrc from the NetBSD project and install it that way but if you're new to this, I'd suggest that you don't go down that route because you'll probably spend a lot of time fighting with it (although I don't know that for sure). My suggestion would be to find a suitable Mac alternative.

Hello, Welcome to M-F :)

First of all, I have the nagging suspicion that you are using your applications from DMG files which is only meant to store the app till it is downloaded.
How to Install Software from DMG Files on a Mac

<See Vansmiths answer>

Have you looked for other software that can do the same thing?
Some of these are a bit old, make sure you have a backup of the files you are gonna edit just in case.
Download Subs Factory for Mac - Subtitles editor. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Download Jubler for Mac - Edit text-based subtitles; version 4.1.3 is available through the app. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

i did try a few other alternatives, even those McYukon suggested. but none of them seems to have the ability to remove hearing impaired text from the sub.

guess i have to resort to buying bootcamp or parallels, and block internet connection to reduce the risk of virus all that nonsense.

anyway, still very thankful for your replies :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not run a VM? That would be much simpler for one program and will save you from having to reboot. I'd also suggest that you look into VirtualBox which is a free virtualization program which may suit your needs.

OP
T
Reaction score
sorry for bring up this thread/replying so late. i kinda lost the link.
thank you for your suggestion vansmith.
i'm in luck, found this program called winebottler that manage to install and run some of my can't-do-without PC stuffs successfully. only the simpler programs though. but i'm happy enough :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.