Backup Drive for Mac Mini

Reaction score
I have a Fantom Drive external drive, 60 GB, circa 2007, I use for backup. I only turn it on occasionally. Sometimes it will appear on my Mac Mini desktop (1.25 Power PC G4, 512MB), but most of the time it will not. It tends to appear after I have not used it for months. But then it will disappear from the desktop after a while. Maybe it's a heat problem? I've tried plugging in the external drive to different ports (it has a USB cable) and unplugging all over devices. Plugging it into my Macbook--there I get a message of USB Over Current and it disables the USB port.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your external drive is more than likely drawing too much current from the USB bus. The appearing and disappearing from the desktop on the Mini and the message you received from your MacBook is a good indication. Use it with an external PS or buy another drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.