Question RE: Mice and OSX

Reaction score
I have a Logitech G5 lazer mouse that I've been using for a long time in Windows (which works wonderfully), but it doesn't feel right when I try to use it on my Mac. It's hard to explain, but if I move the mouse a little bit it feels like the sensitivity is less than if I move it a lot (and not 1-to-1 in terms of sensitivity as you would expect).

What I mean by that is the sensitivity of the mouse feels dependant on how fast I move the mouse. To further explain lets say the speed with which I move the mouse can be represented by the numbers 1 to 10, where 1 is slow and 10 is fast.

Moving the mouse at speeds 1-4 will make the pointer move at approx. that same speed (that being slow, and 4 not being appreciably faster than 1), and 5-10 will make it move faster (but at roughly the same speed within that bracket). There aren't any official downloadable drivers from Logitech for this mouse, and since changing some of the sensitivity settings hasn't helped, I'm attributing this to less than stellar default drivers. It's not as noticeable when just browsing the web, but it's incredibly annoying when trying to play games (specifically Diablo II).

I guess my questions are:
- anyone else have this problem?
- will I see this same behaviour with other mice?
- If not, can anyone recommend a good 2-button mouse?

And I just thought I would add that the Logitech G5 has physical buttons on it that allow me to adjust the sensitivity of the mouse on the fly, but none of the 3 settings feel right at all. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to check out Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse: Apple . In the comments associated with this article I saw some mention that this mouse works with a program called USB Overdrive although a previous version seems to work better than the current one. Not sure if it addresses all over issues but it might help.

I also saw a post somewhere which hinted that the Logitech Control Center supports this mouse. I haven't found a clear answer on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
That's how mice work in OSX. With practice I think you'll find it much easier to control.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A lot of people feel this way, myself included. Fortunately, there is an easy fix. Steermouse is a third party driver that gives you much more control over acceleration and sensitivity. I was able to fine tune it to my taste.

OP
S
Reaction score
well, that's certainly disappointing :(

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. It at least gives me something to think about, but the price for Steermouse seems a little steep. :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
well, that's certainly disappointing :(

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. It at least gives me something to think about, but the price for Steermouse seems a little steep. :(

Oooh, they raised it a bit. It used to be $13, I think.

Anyway, download the free trial and see if it suits your needs. Even at $20, it's worth it. Another option might be to get a Magic Mouse, which feels just about perfect out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I use steermouse with my logitech G9...it's PERFECT!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.