Ram Upgrade for G4 Mac Mini (1.42Ghz Model)

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post, just after a bit of advice.

I have an old G4 mac mini and I need to upgrade the RAM as it currently has the 256mb it came with and is therefore glacially slow!

Just wondering, all the websites I go to offer me a specific chip for around £30-40, (184 Pin DDR2700 333MHz, 1gb) but ram of the same specifications from different manufacturers is available online at half the price. Will these be compatible?

Also, if anyone knows a way of upgrading over 1gb, let me know...

Any help much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome aboard the good ship Mac-Forums!

You state the currency as £ - are you in the UK? If importing RAM into Britain is not a problem, then I warmly recommend going to OWC Memory, Drives, Free Installation Guides for Apple Mac mini and more ? up to 640GB Hard Drives, up to 8.0GB Memory, Faster Optical Drives, Accessories + more just for Mac mini. You can be sure of getting the right RAM from them. The cheaper RAM you mention is probably intended for a PC.

Crucial or Kingston make Mac-compatible RAM. Crucial offers a RAM check Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Crucial Mac System Scanner.

The purchase price of RAM from OWC is comparable to the figure you've quoted.

1 Gb RAM is as far as you can go with that model of Mini [source: Mactracker].

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.