MacBookPro no longer allows software update or iTunes store access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
I'm pretty sure these 2 problems are connected.
My wife's MacBookPro stopped auto updating her podcasts about 2 weeks ago.
So today I tried to update podcasts for her (I assumed she had accidentally unsubscribed or some such sillyness), when I asked to connect to the iTunes store I got the message > 'iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store an unknown occured error occured (-2094)'
But we have no network problems and she (we) are connected to the web no problem, my MacBook connects fine, our iPods and iPhones too, so clearly her MacBook has a glitch.
In order to make sure all was up to date on hers before I went off the deep end & dug further I tried the "Software update" from the Apple menu, and I got this message > 'failed to check for updates, there was a problem communicating with the web proxy server (HTTP)', then the only option is to quit the update screen.

So I assume something has broken software / connection wise on her MacBook. As I say, she connects to the web perfectly normally and connects to networks here at home & her office totally fine, web downloads work, all 'seems' well.

Her MacBook came with whatever version of OSX was the one prior to Snow Leopard (not sure myself?), but we both upgraded to Snow Leopard months ago.

Qs:
1. do we back everything up and simply reinstall the OS?
2. if so, do we use the older OS discs that came in the box, then update to Snow L afterward?
3. or (hopes!), is there a simple fix to this? or some downloadable diagnosis & fix all utility?
I've tried the disc utility and first aid repair etc, but nothing seems awry there.

all help gratefully received

I've been using Macs since 1985, this is our first OSX glitch in 10 years and I'm a bit lost, I've never had to fix an OSX issue on a Mac, they normally work hassle free!

regards

Karlos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I doubt there's anything wrong with the MBP hardware, as evidenced by successful connection to other facilities and sites. Try repairing permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium's Software • Download.

If that doesn't clear up the anomaly, check Network settings to see if somehow a proxy has been enabled, and which is interfering. [I'm back in the age of TigerOS, I have no proxies whatever enabled.]

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
Gold star for you Hugh

as my wife is a teacher, she has recently started using her Mac to deliver interactive whiteboard presentations. In order to enable connection to the school network a proxy server was enabled. Soon as I unchecked this we are up and working. She'll just have to turn it back on to get connected at school.

many thanks

Karlos

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.