Non Click Wheel with dock or Click Wheel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I'm thinking of getting a refurb iPod from Apple.

Whats the difference between the click and non-click wheel? Is it worth the price difference? Will I regret not getting the click wheel?

What about the dock that comes with the non-clicks...would you rather have the dock or the click wheel?

T

Tel

Assuming they're the same hard drive size I would say this: if you haven't owned an iPod before get the 3gen (non click wheel) the only reason you would want a click wheel is if you owned one before because you would probably be too used to it to go back to the non click wheel. But the fact that the 3gen comes with a dock is a bonus, its means it wont be sitting on your desk getting scratched every time you use it.

U

UncSki1218

I agree

I definetly agree. I bought a 3g (non click wheel) and i dont regret it. The dock is definetly a plus and looks greta on ur desk. The click wheel just gives it more moving parts to break. Also the buttons on the non click wheel glow orange but only the screen glows on the click wheel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I bought my 3G iPod when they were released. I really don't see any advantage of one over the other, save for the dock being included.
Personally, I like the look of the 3G's better anyway. :black:

M

Mac N00b

Its personal preferance really. I like the click wheel. From the second I tried out my Mini I fell in love with it. I have never had controls on an mp3 player that felt so.... right. With other mp3 players I had to count buttons left or right when it was in my pocket. Now it is just a matter of one button on each side of another button. While that sounds complicated, the organization just works better. Purely on looks though I am a sucker for the 1G iPods. There is just something about them.

Does Apple have a patent on the click/touch wheel?

I'd like to see a full size stereo with one of those

S

section31

D3v1L80Y said:
I bought my 3G iPod when they were released. I really don't see any advantage of one over the other, save for the dock being included.

I feel the same way. I have a 3G and bought my wife an iPod mini but I can honestly say that I prefer the non-click wheel for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I have both and must admit that I prefer the Click wheel version:
Better battery life and I find the controls easier to use on the go...
I prefer the click wheel generally, though the 3rd gen was also cool.

The battery life is the main issue for me though: The 3rd gen gets around 4-8 hours, the 4th around 8-12h, depending on use.

Quite a few times the 3rd gen would die on me when I was just out and about, the 4th gen never has...
You can get 3rd party batteries that are better for the 3rd gen, but why go through all that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Abdiel said:
I'm thinking of getting a refurb iPod from Apple.

Whats the difference between the click and non-click wheel? Is it worth the price difference? Will I regret not getting the click wheel?

What about the dock that comes with the non-clicks...would you rather have the dock or the click wheel?

Just a side note...sometimes with the refurb ones you get a lower battery life because of the previous owner and how much he recharged it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
D3v1L80Y said:

I bought my 3G iPod new in the Spring of '04 and they stopped including the dock by that time. If you wanted one, you had to buy it separately.

Are you sure the 3G you're looking at comes with a dock?

As for usability, I have no preference of one over the other.

OP
Abdiel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
caribiner23 said:
I bought my 3G iPod new in the Spring of '04 and they stopped including the dock by that time. If you wanted one, you had to buy it separately.

Are you sure the 3G you're looking at comes with a dock?

As for usability, I have no preference of one over the other.

yes, it's listed specifically on the refurb page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FishinFool said:
Just a side note...sometimes with the refurb ones you get a lower battery life because of the previous owner and how much he recharged it.
I thought they replaced the batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Aptmunich said:
I thought they replaced the batteries?

I know if you buy a floor model ipod from the apple store they don't replace the battery...so I'm assuming it is the same

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it would be different, since a refurb is a device that came in broken and fixed whilst the owner was given another fixed refurb model. Apple then checks it out and returns it to 'factory' condition, i.e. fixes any problems and checks it out for faults.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.