Finally!

S

ShawnH

Last night I went and bought a 17" iMacG5 and had them put in extra memory to boost it to 1GB. I’ve been stalking these forums and reading everyone’s advice and problems for over a month. During that time I would visit the Apple store and waffle between the 17” and 20”. Just last night I made the purchase.

My wife is a teacher, so we got a discount on the iMac and a free iPod (we’re giving this to her mother, since we already have one). I must say the iPod was the gateway drug for me. Tonight I pick up my first Apple computer and I can’t wait to explore the wonderful world of Mac.

I wanted to thank everyone here for letting me eavesdrop on your conversations. I’ve learned a lot from reading your comments over the last month!

Thanks,
Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 1.33/512/80GB - Macbook 1.83/CD/2GBs ram.
Welcome to the world of macs! enjoy your new computer.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your new system. :)

OP
S

ShawnH

Thanks guys, it's killing me being at work instead of being home setting up the new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yes U will love the Powerbook! Enjoy!

OP
S

ShawnH

Loving the iMac so far. I've got all of my iTunes music transferred over by using the iPod as a hard drive. That was pretty easy.

The speakers sound great on the iMac, way better than out IBM laptop.

Now, I need to hook up a wireless Linksys router to the iMac.

Reaction score
Congrats on the new iMac! I've had mine for about 2 or 3 weeks now and im loving it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congrats on the new system, welcome to the forums, and welcome to the world of macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Congrats on the new iMac! You'll love it! If you have any questions, the users here will be happy to answer them for you!

OP
S

ShawnH

Okay, a couple stupid questions here from the newbie.

I haven't been turning my machine off at night. I just leave it on and hit the space bar when I want to hop back on. Is this okay to do this regularly?

Also, I guess I need something called "stuffit" to extract things that I might want to download? Is this correct?

I'm also thinking about getting an airport station to do the wireless. Any thoughts on this, besides the obvious cost issue? I'm having some issues with the Linksys, but I haven't really been able to devote any problem solving time to it this week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure, OS X is designed to be able to stay on 24/7, and I always leave mine 'sleep'. The last time I actually rebooted was to update to 10.4.2. (Which you might want to to, if it isn't already on there. Click on the apple logo, and select software update to check for updates).

The linksys should work just as well really... but the airport express is nice for streaming music to your stereo too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Aptmunich said:
The last time I actually rebooted was to update to 10.4.2. (Which you might want to to, if it isn't already on there. Click on the apple logo, and select software update to check for updates).

The linksys should work just as well really... but the airport express is nice for streaming music to your stereo too...

When I first turned the machine on (G5 but should be the same right) it went through set up, at the end of the process it went online to check for updates. But to be sure, what is the 10.4.2 your speaking of? An update to the operating system?

OP
B

badmojo

10.4.2 is the latest OSX revision. The iMac's are great huh? Check out the HD galleries on the Quicktime website. They look great on an iMac screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
Congrats on your new purchase! I believe that stuffit is preloaded on your system. You might want to do a search. I think it was already loaded on my system. I guess it's something similar to the likes of winzip.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OS 10.4.2 is the latest revision update to OS X 10.4. I have read that StuffIt Standard is not part of the OS X load this time. You can get it at the provided link.

OP
S

ShawnH

Thanks rman, I'll check the link when I get home for Stuffit.

I had some trouble with the Linksys wireless and I didn't like the way it looked. So with a birthday gift card to the Apple store, I got the Airport extreme that you plug into the wall. It works like a dream for the iMac and our IBM laptop. And it looks much better than the Linksys.

Now the wife and I can be on the internet at the same time, instead of taking turns. The internet is our TV. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.