ebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Thought of buying an ipad or ipod touch to take advantange of downloading my books to read anywhere but just looked at the prices on the itunes store. I am trying to be a bit greener by saving paper and ink so how can Apple justify charging me more to download a book than the cost of a printed one. Come on Jobsy you should be doing more for the planet than just printing your own money.

C

chas_m

I always find it fascinating when people make such ridiculous statements. Do you really seriously believe that Steve Jobs individually chooses the prices for ebooks on iBooks? Seriously??

Or COULD IT POSSIBLY BE that PERHAPS those prices are set by the rights owners/publishers? Ya think? Maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And would you as an author, accept half or quarter royalty fees because a book is sold as an ebook? The planet ain't got nuthin' to do with it! They still gotta eat, meet their commitments, raise families etc etc!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Come on Jobsy you should be doing more for the planet than just printing your own money.
The last time I checked, being an entrepreneur in America was not illegal!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Convenient Place to Gripe

I don't mind paying a reasonable sum for eBooks, though I agree that theoretically they should be significantly cheaper than the print versions.

What annoys me is paying $9.99 for an eBook then finding it full of proofreader errors (actually a lot of times it looks like the file was auto converted from a scan without any proofreading at all). I have found the same thing through iBook store and Kindle store. Looks like whoever is managing electronic book sales at either location doesn't have an adequate quality review process.

Okay, I'm done venting! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good. You as a purchaser always have the option of withholding your cash and not buying in that format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I agree that a proofreader would be nice. I read a lot of ebooks, and it seems to me that about half of them must be scanned with some sort of OCR that tends to really screw up punctuation. I will continue to read and buy, but an increase in the quality of the product they are offering would be genuinely appreciated.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Good. You as a purchaser always have the option of withholding your cash and not buying in that format.

You are absolutely correct. I choose to buy in ePub format because of its strengths. Unfortunately, you don't have the ability to prescreen a work (as you do with print) for quality issues, and at least with Apple sales are final so you are really buying a pig in a poke.

In keeping with the principle of value for value they ought to proof read eBooks, otherwise sell them at a reasonable discount reflecting the lack of quality control. My opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.