MacBook Pro 13" vs MacBook Pro 15"

Reaction score
Hey,

I know there's probably A LOT of threads about the comparisons about these two but,

I really wanna know which ones I should get for my needs.

I want a MBP that is able to run a game called League of Legends and Minecraft WELL without it lagging. Do you guys know about these games and if the 13" can run it well?

I will also want to get into editing here and there. eg Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas every now and then.

So, pretty much just want a MBP that can run League of Legends and Minecraft well as well with no lag and be able to edit videos and things easily.

Thanks.

P.S What's a better name, Winfrizz or Winfriz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hey,

I know there's probably A LOT of threads about the comparisons about these two but,

I really wanna know which ones I should get for my needs.

I want a MBP that is able to run a game called League of Legends and Minecraft WELL without it lagging. Do you guys know about these games and if the 13" can run it well?

I will also want to get into editing here and there. eg Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas every now and then.

So, pretty much just want a MBP that can run League of Legends and Minecraft well as well with no lag and be able to edit videos and things easily.

Thanks.

P.S What's a better name, Winfrizz or Winfriz?

If you are not concerned about the increase in cost… definitely get the 15" MBP, with the i5 & i7 chips (vs Core2Duo in the 13"), and the 330m graphics processors (vs the 320m's on the 13").

You could go "all the way" on the 15" and get the i7, with 512MB on the 330m.. (I get mine next week)… But it's a big.. really big jump in price from the base 13" model.

It really depends on how much cash you are willing to part with.

PS.. Have you considered winfrizzz.. OR… even better.. Winfrizzzz !!!!

lol!!!

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't really wanna pay the amount you need to for the 15" but if its' going to be THAT much better I will, but as I said, I'd rather not if it's not that big of a difference. Screen size I don't mind as 2 inches isn't too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's a different discussion but it boils down to more than just the 2" diagonally, it's vertical and horizontal… and really it's the pixel gain I'd be more concerned with.

Back on topic.. What are the system requirements for the games you are wanting to play?

Reaction score
oh man you have no idea how much more screen real-estate you get with the 15 inch, i just upgraded from a 13inch late 08 model(the first 13inch aluminum model that still say's macbook instead of macbook pro) to a 2010 i5 2.4ghz. now it is much easier to use Imovie and Final Cut Pro. and since mine is a refurbished(could've fooled me for a brand spanking new one if it wasn't the packaging) i only paid 1600 after tax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
I have both

Granted my 13 inch is the older "Aluminum Macbook" Before they stuck the "Pro" on the end, but it has the upgraded 2.4ghz C2D with 4gb mem and 320gb HD. I just got the 15inch MBP with the i7 and 4gb mem and 500gb HD with the hi-res antigalre. A few points.

The 15 inch is much bigger and little heavier. It took me a while to get used to the larger base.

The hi res antiglare screen is TDF!!! The increase in screen space is amazing, so much so that I actually can open two Pages documents side by side at 125% zoom and still fit them on the desktop. Well worth the extra. And I am quickly coming down on the side of antiglare.

The i7 with 330 is uber-unbelievably fast. UBER fast. It blows away the 3.06ghz C2D on my 24" iMac. I run computer-busting mapping software that hogs just about all the system resources you can throw at it. The i7 on the MBP outperforms the C2D 3.06 on the iMac easily. I render raw satellite images and process them into visible imagery inside Parallels running Windows Se7en (I really wish they'd compile these mapping programs for Mac like they used to!!!). We're talking about 10gb files once the process is all done. The i7 has been so delightful I've actually moved everything to it for processing. I set aside some extra cash for the upgrade to 8gb RAM and will order it from Other World Monday.

If you need computing muscle, or think you will in the future, get the i7. If you kinda don't and maybe don't have the money, the 13" C2D will do a pretty good job. Better than any of the PC crap in the big boxes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
a 2" larger screen makes the world of difference to me. If you ARE worried about performance, than you really shouldn't be comparing the 15" with i5 or i7 to a 13" with a regular c2d processor. There is a difference. The cheapest 15" should only cost you a couple of hundred more, while being considerably better. Don't make a decision you will regret!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What computer are you using currently with the games you want and how does it handle them "in your opinion"?

What are the specs of that machine compared to the specs of the new machines you're looking at?

Imho: Anyone whose primary concern has to do with playing any game and concerned with playability and framerates should be custom building their own Win7 gaming box and shouldn't be looking at a Mac for this duty. What about the next game you want to play and you're stuck with a video card that won't handle it on any notebook or all-in-one machine from any manufacturer? Purchasing such a machine is a big mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What computer are you using currently with the games you want and how does it handle them "in your opinion"?

What are the specs of that machine compared to the specs of the new machines you're looking at?

Imho: Anyone whose primary concern has to do with playing any game and concerned with playability and framerates should be custom building their own Win7 gaming box and shouldn't be looking at a Mac for this duty. What about the next game you want to play and you're stuck with a video card that won't handle it on any notebook or all-in-one machine from any manufacturer? Purchasing such a machine is a big mistake.

I agree!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Agreed 100%.

Winfrizzzzzzzz ;) if you're main goal and purpose of a new computer is for gaming.. Your money will be waaaaay better spent on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

+1. Couldn't agree more. Nobody with sense buys a highly priced, non-upgradeable computer for the purpose of gaming. In a couple of years, even the i7 processor will be outdated and the same goes for 330m graphics board.

Reaction score
Well I would get the 13'' first to see if that is what you need. You can always return and upgrade is needed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm looking for something mobile, but if it'll be THAT bad then I'll happily get a PC.

I actually needed something good at editing because I wanted to get into editing videos etc, Sony Vegas, Adobe CS4. But if a PC can do that then okay.

Games wasn't a big deal as I only wanted to play League of Legends as I am a console gamer but I'm not going on till Black Ops comes out. I just wanted one that could run it smoothly unlike my current PC

1GB RAM,
Pentium 4 CPU
2.80hz

and its REALLY slow, it takes so long to load and when I finish a game it takes 10minutes for the client to pop up so I can play another.

Reaction score
sounds like you want pure performance, in that case you really should look into asus or alienware laptops.

OP
W
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest anything for something of my needs in Australia? NSW preferably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
sounds like you want pure performance, in that case you really should look into asus or alienware laptops.

Alienware:You get what you pay for, high quality processor and graphics cards, same crap generic screens found on all other windows running laptops. My friend just got a 15" with SLI graphics...don't remember the name, but as soon as we first met, he pulled his out, and I instantly noticed that bad viewing angle on the screen, at which point, he was looking at mine. The disappointment on his face...worth a billion bucks! At least he has an "alienware"...

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't want a laptop, nor do I want a iMac.

Need something : Good at editing without lag, Can play League of Legends without lag and I'd rather it be mobile but if it isn't its fine & i need one I can get in Australia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
A few things:
Firstly, try installing more RAM in your current machine, as 1GB is really not enough.
Second, go checkout a Mac, and see for yourself what you think.

Above, where you say "I don't want a laptop, nor do I want a iMac" yet the title of this thread is Macbook Pro 13" Vs Macbook Pro 15" ....this is a little confusing, but I'm not going to dwell on that :)

The 13" will handle what you want quite well, the 15" will handle it better, and the higher up the spec chain you go, the better it will get.
The middle to high end iMacs will handle everything even better, and the Mac Pros, even better again.

End of the day, the original question of Macbook Pro 13" Vs Macbook Pro 15.... the answer is 15", and if you don't need the portability, the iMac would be the best choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.