mac os 9.1

Reaction score
i got an imac g3 from a friend of mine who got it from someone. my friend tried installing AOL onto it and couldn't. So i brought it home to see if i could install AOL onto it and i couldn't. There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc what was there looked like a blank piece of paper. So i googled a few things and printed out pages of things to do. Well one thing I can't do is rebuild the desktop. i looked on the computer and mac os 9.1 isnt on it the computer has mac os x 10.2.1 on it to rebuild i think you need 9.1 on it also i get a message about classic saying no volume in the folder or something like that. does anyone know where i can get a 9.1 disc for the mac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm confused..you are trying to run a 'setup.exe' file on a Mac? Those executables only run Windows..not on the Mac..do you have the AOL software that's specific to a Mac? If so, what version of Mac OS does it require?

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There was no setup.exe icon showing where all the versions of AOL are and when i clicked on AOL 7.0 etc

Mac's don't use ".exe" files. You need to find an AOL installer for a Mac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do a Google and you will find many requests for an AOL installer for Classic (OS 9). AOL and Netscape once upon a time were popular with Classic users, however AOL abandoned Netscape back in 2007/2008.

You may well have to update the firmware on the G3 iMac and install OS X.2 Jaguar.

OP
P
Reaction score
my friend is on his way now to get a mac os 9 disc from someone its version from what i could see from the pic that was sent to me is 9.0.4 that's not a 9.1 disc is it? if i installed it on the imac g3 will the classic applications be on the computer? or is it a waste of time?

Reaction score
Why do you need AOL in the first place...its nothing but a spy. Anyway you need OS9.1
or 9.2. And you have to partition the drive ETC....

OP
P
Reaction score
i have to use AOL cause thats what i use for my pc i have two more problems now. i got another imac from ebay and i dont know if theres a modem on it or not the seller isnt answering my questions. anyway on the mac from ebay where it shows network isnt that supposed to be a dark blue colour or something if theres a modem on the mac cause on the other imac network is dark blue and i can get onto AOL with dialup on that computer but i cant use my high speed on that mac for some reason should i get a router and connect the mac through that?

Reaction score
Yes you need a hub or router between the Mac and DSL or Cable. If its in OS9 you need to turn on Apple Talk. Still do not get why you need AOL...if you need dial up go to Fastermac.net

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.