New Mac:Online backup, .doc to pages not happening!

Reaction score
My PC died. Thankfully I had my valuables at Verizon Online Backup: My problem is opening the .doc files on the MacBook Pro i just purchased.

Example: I retrieved the file: ~$ Chapter 21-1.doc and downloaded it. However it will not open the format. The message: The file format is invalid. I tried changing the extension and dropping the file into IWorks. No help.

I could use some help here, I am trying not to spend the money on Office for Mac.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you save the *.doc file and which version of Word did you use? Did you save it as a compatible Word 97 - 2003 file? iWork Pages isn't the best program for MS Office compatibility but it should be able to open a *.doc file provided it was saved as above.

You can try using the free Open Office 3.2.1 instead of Pages. It's a rather large program but it does provide good compatibility and you won't have to buy MS Office. Download from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.