Quick Ram Question

T

thesatelliteguy

I have an ibook with 512MB of Ram. If I wanted to upgrade it 1GB, would I have to buy a 1GB stick or another 512 Stick?

Satelliteguy

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe to get to at list 1GB, you would need the 1Gb memory stick. That wiuld put you at 1.25GB after instaling the memory stick. Currently I think you have two 256MB memory chips installed on your system. Check your configuration. Look under Apple drop down menu. Select about this Mac, then more info, follow by clicking on the memory twisty, You should see how many memory modules (sticks) are installed.

OP
S

sursuciofla

thesatelliteguy said:
I have an ibook with 512MB of Ram. If I wanted to upgrade it 1GB, would I have to buy a 1GB stick or another 512 Stick?

Satelliteguy

You would have to buy a 1GB stick. Ram only doubles in size as you move up in increments so 512 to 1GB is the next increment. You only have the one SO-DIMM plus the stock 256 that's built-in so there is no way around this on the ibook. If it was a powerbook it would be a whole different story as it comes with the two SO-DIMM slots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That only applies to the 15 & 17 " models though.. the 12" only has 1 slot.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That would mean that you would remove the 256MB memory chip and replace it with a 1GB memory chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.