Macbook randomly restarting when plugged in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
In the past week, my Macbook has started randomly restarting when it is plugged in. If I put it into sleep mode, it doesn't do it, but if I just leave it on, it will restart within 15 minutes. I can't think of anything I have done or installed lately. I have searched for software updates and installed the recommended ones with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wendy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't supply us with much info about your MacBook and what version of OS X you're running. But briefly, random restarting can be caused by bad memory, a defective power supply, or overheating. As for the overheating, make sure your fan is operating. Can you hear it?

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that! Here are the specs:
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4

I am not noticing the laptop getting hot, but I have not noticed the fan running either. I'll have to pay closer attention and try to see if I can hear it. I only notice the restarts when it is plugged in.

How would I know if it is bad memory? Is there something I can look for, or do I need to have it looked at?
Thanks!!

Wendy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am not noticing the laptop getting hot, but I have not noticed the fan running either. I'll have to pay closer attention and try to see if I can hear it. I only notice the restarts when it is plugged in.

Thanks for posting back the specs. If your MacBook is running OK when it's on battery and only restarting randomly on AC power, it may be a problem with the power supply or the MagSafe Adapter. Since the MagSafe Adapter is easier to swap out, see if you can borrow one from a friend and use it for awhile to test if the rebooting occurs again.

Let us know and we can go from there.

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much. I'll work on getting a loaner cord and testing it.

Wendy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.