Software Update Query!

WLB

Reaction score
Hi

I have a PowerPC G5 Mac which runs on OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and I am wanting to know whether I will be able to run OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard on it?? Or is the best OS I can go to just 10.4 (Tiger) because its quite an old computer??

Hope someone can help me!

WLB

Reaction score
Close to Detroit, but far enough way to survive it
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Quad Core i7 (Model 11,3) / 2.93GHz / ATI Radeon HD 5750 / 4G RAM / 1TB HD / OSX 10.6.6
Hi

I have a PowerPC G5 Mac which runs on OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and I am wanting to know whether I will be able to run OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard on it?? Or is the best OS I can go to just 10.4 (Tiger) because its quite an old computer??

Hope someone can help me!

WLB

WLB, from what I have read and anecdotally learned is that Leopard is a memory hog, so wouldn't suggest it if you feel your puter is getting too old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

As your G5 is a PowerPC model (PPC), you will be able to upgrade as far as Leopard OS X.5.8. Snow Leopard OS X.6 requires an Intel machine. Leopard will run just fine and ignore negative comments. Leopard runs well on older G4's that meet the minimum 867MHz processor, and even better on the G5.

As a suggestion install 2GB of memory, it helps if you provide your machine specs, and when you are in the market for a Leopard disc make sure you purchase a black full retail install DVD and not a silver.grey system install disc that abounds on auction sites such as eBay.

Despite what sellers may say about 'drop in discs' etc., these are extremely model specific.

OP
W

WLB

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys.

harryb, how would I go about installing 2Gb of memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you Google your inquiry? This is available for download from Apple. Make sure you know precisely what model G5 PowerMac you have and then check out say OWC for memory, note the specs, and shop around. You have install memory in matched pairs:-

manuals.info.apple.com/en/memory.pdf - United States

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/PC2100-2700-3200-DDR-184pin/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.