Macbook Pro - Bootcamp, Sims 2... Help? :(

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums, joining for the sole purpose for something I'm having problems with.
I'll explain as much as I can, ask me if you need to know anything else.
Firstly, I used to have a Windows computer which I used to play Sims 2 on, and it broke down. No need to explain any more than that.
I sold all the Sims 2 games, and got a Macbook Pro with 17 inch screen in July 2009.
Recently I've wanted to play the Sims 2 again, but I saw on Amazon that there were only a few Sims 2 games for Mac, and they were quite expensive.
So I used Bootcamp to install XP on my Macbook, and I bought all the Sims 2 PC games off Amazon. XP installed perfectly, and I installed Sims 2.
I tried to open it, but an error message popped up saying the graphics drive wasn't compatible, or something (something about Direct X, I think?).
I followed the guide to install Bootcamp (on the Apple website), but missed out the steps about drivers, was this necessary? If so, what do I have to do?
All I would like to know is how to get Sims 2 to work in the cheapest way possible... Or free. I've already spent a lot of money, but whatever solution, I don't mind, I suppose.
Thanks for your help!
Also, could having XP on my Mac damage the computer? Or is it safe?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is the wrong forum but rather than move your post - I'll try to answer it here.

You need to insert your Snow Leopard DVD while Windows XP is running. The drivers will be installed automatically. After the drivers have been installed, your Sims game should load correctly. Post back and let us know.

OP
E
Reaction score
:)

This is the wrong forum but rather than move your post - I'll try to answer it here.

You need to insert your Snow Leopard DVD while Windows XP is running. The drivers will be installed automatically. After the drivers have been installed, your Sims game should load correctly. Post back and let us know.

It works! Thank you so much for your help!
In future I'll make sure to read instructions thoroughly... :Blushing:
Sorry for posting it to the wrong forum, but thanks again for your help.
The graphics and display are perfect. Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back and have fun with the Sims. :)

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm having the same problem with Boot Camp except I'm trying to run the Sims 2 on Windows 7 on a 2010 Macbook Pro 13. I keep on getting this Directx error message:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

This is so irritating as I only just bought Windows 7 to use my old Sims 2 for windows discs on my Macbook and have updated all the drivers with the Mac OS X Install DVD, as per the instructions.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the Apple web site and download - install Boot Camp 3.1. Must be installed from within Windows 7. If that doesn't help, go to the nVidia web site and download the latest Windows 7 drivers for your nVidia chipset. Make sure it's the correct driver as both 32 and 64 bit drivers are available.

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I did install the appropriate Nvidia driver from the website but it only seemed to install an HD Audio driver for my card. But a look on the Device Manager in Windows says that all the drivers for my card are up to date. (It's a Nvidia Geforce 320M card in a brand new MBP, so surely there should be no issued of it not being good enough to run the sims 2?)

Regarding Boot Camp, when I tried to install this update: Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 64 bit I got an error message saying a newer version of Boot Camp was already installed.
One mark of progress so far is that previously, when running Dxdiag on Windows, it would come up with all the Accelerations as Disabled but after a Windows Update they're all Enabled now. But unfortunately my Sims 2 still isn't working, keep on getting the same error message :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Seems like you're up to date with both the nVidia drivers and Boot Camp.

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

Looking at that error again leads me to believe that it's the Sims 2 game that might need updating or a patch installed. Since you're running Windows 7 64 bit the Sims game might not be compatible. I'm not sure about that, but it's a strange error you're getting since you definitely have a later version of DirectX installed. You might want to check with Electronic Arts support. LINK

Reaction score
Hi, I had already spoken to support but they said they wouldn't help me as running Sims 2 on boot camp was 'emulation', very irritating as I bought all their discs and now they won't help me -.-
Do you think I should just patch every EP and hope for the best? I didn't specifically download and install all the patches from the EA website but doesn't the Sims 2 Update thing on the installer for every EP check for patches and install them itself? Thanks for all your help btw, hope i can crack this annoying problem :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi Snooby,

I don't think I had the exact same problem as you but I did have issues running Sims 2 + all expansion packs on my Bootcamp-ed Windows XP. What I found fixed the problem was downloading and installing the patches from the EA website in order of Expansion Pack (Base - Uni - NL - OfB - Pets - Seasons - FT - AL - M&G)

From one Sims 2 player to another, hope you manage to fix the problem!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, go ahead and install the patches. The reply from beachbenefit was helpful in that regard. Also, I'm a bit disappointed in Electronic Arts support. Running Windows 7 from a Boot Camp partition is not emulation! It's exactly the same as running Windows 7 64 bit on a Dell or HP. So much for their support. :Angry-Tongue:

Let us know if you get it working or need more assistance.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help guys! I'm going to try that now. Only thing is, I already installed a couple of the patches (but not necessarily in order) - is there a way I should uninstall the patches somehow before beginning again in order? Thanks again so much! Really hope this works :)

Reaction score
help

Hi there, I'm having the same problem with Boot Camp except I'm trying to run the Sims 2 on Windows 7 on a 2010 Macbook Pro 13. I keep on getting this Directx error message:

This is so irritating as I only just bought Windows 7 to use my old Sims 2 for windows discs on my Macbook and have updated all the drivers with the Mac OS X Install DVD, as per the instructions.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance :)

erm..hi..but im really desperate..i have the exact same problem as snooby and i noticed there wasnt really a solution..i tried donwloading the patch and everything but im still back at square one..please reply

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 2010 MacBook Pro. I completely uninstalled then re in stalled Windows Vista then inserted my OS X disc then installed Sims 2 but it still didn't work. I'm going to try the patches next but I have a few questions about that. I currently have all the expansions except University and Nightlife so should I wait till I have installed those before I patch the rest? And do I install and patch or can I install them all and patch later?

It's a bit silly that Windows can't even run hiccup free even when it's on a Mac :p

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Ahhh! I installed Vista on my Macbook Pro 13" and then followed the complete instructions (inserting OS X disc etc). I even installed a patch and it STILL doesn't work. Please help, I'm almost ready to throw my mac out the window this is so frustrating!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Try contacting EA. It has something to do with their game...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.