WD My Book Studio, to buy or not to buy? HELP!

Reaction score
Hey!
I need a backup hardrive for my late 2008 iMac and my new MBP i7.
I have seen that WD make a mac range of HDDs that look really nice!
The my book studio caught my eye as it has 2 Firewire 800 ports on the back, Does this mean that you can connect 2 macs to it?

Also could you recommend some other hardrives with similar specs etc?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Although I've never tried it, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing/reading that you never want to connect both machines to the same external at the same time. Perhaps I'm remembering that wrong, but you're gonna want to confirm that before you attempt it.

WD are fine externals. I have one. Love it. I would strongly recommend what are you looking at because FW800 is the way to go when it comes to speed when backing up. Especially that initial BIG backup! They can be partitioned, of course, to use with more than one machine. And you don't necessarily have to buy one that says it's for Macs. That just means it's already formatted. But you can use Disk Utility to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That is the format used by Time Machine.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with other brand external HDDs. But you'll get good and bad responses for just about every brand out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hey!
I need a backup hardrive for my late 2008 iMac and my new MBP i7.
I have seen that WD make a mac range of HDDs that look really nice!
The my book studio caught my eye as it has 2 Firewire 800 ports on the back, Does this mean that you can connect 2 macs to it?

Also could you recommend some other hardrives with similar specs etc?

Thanks!

Unless I am mistaken one of the ports hook to the primary computer the second port would be used to daisy chain a second drive. My Lacie is 4yrs old and
still working what I liked about it was 4way connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.