macbook pro 15 inch over imac?

Reaction score
Hi guys can I get your advice... finally decided to make the switch from pc to Mac. I was all set to get an imac 27 inch to replace my pc but when I went to get it I started looking at the macbook pro 15 inch version..

I thought that maybe I could hook the macbook up to my 22 inch samsung synchmaster monitor and get a wireless keyboard and mouse and get the best of both worlds

Can i do this without problems and will the macbook perform just as well as the imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Absolutely you can, I do it daily. It is the best of both worlds IMO. Do it with confidence, and enjoy.

Welcome!

OP
E
Reaction score
Absolutely you can, I do it daily. It is the best of both worlds IMO. Do it with confidence, and enjoy.

Welcome!

Thanks....

Oh one more question is the performance similar? I am so used to pc based notebooks performing worse than pc's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Depends on which iMac and which MBP you are looking at.

But unless you are running some serious apps at once, you aren't going notice a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Portability vs Performance.
You are paying more for lower specs, to get the portability, and is always going to be a trade off.
When you get a sports car, you get less seating and luxury options, but this doesn't make it a bad car, just not as big as the others, and you pay more for it :p
In saying that, the i5 and i7 MBP range is by no means a poor performer.
Even the MBs are little work horses, where as the i5 and i7 MBP are big work horses.
In most cases, users won't even utilise the potential of a MB, yet alone the high end MBPs, iMacs, or Mac Pros. We all want the biggest and best, but if you like the idea of portability when you want it, your choice of the MBP with the external monitor is a great choice.
If you need extra bang for your buck, go with the fastest processor you can afford, and upgrade your RAM and HD later down the line, which is cheaper than Apple, and will not void your warranty.

Edit: Ride got in there first, covering what I said very well, in fewer words :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
That's what I am doing. Hooked up to a 25" Samsung screen, Apple keyboard, and Magic Mouse. Which gives you both a desktop and a laptop computer in the same time.

If you can afford a good mount, go for it, it will make your life much easier when you unhook the laptop from all the devices and back in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.