Macbook Pro freezing and fading to black

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sorry about the bad english. Here we go:
My macbook pro (Core 2 Duo, 17", 2007) has always worked perfectly, but today it started having serious issues. It had been sleeping all night, and when i tried opening it, all i got was a black screen. I could still hear sounds when i pressed the volume buttons, and it was clearly running, but with no display. I tried resetting it by pressing the button on the bottom, and this time i got the startup screen with the apple logo - but as soon as Mac Os started, it froze, and the screen slowly faded to black. Frustrated, i shut it down and went for a walk. When i returned home i desperately tried turning it on again, and this time i managed to log in. I surfed a little bit on the internet, but suddenly it froze and faded to black again.
I have been slamming my fist on the table for a couple of hours now. I have absolutely no money to send it to apple care. I would be very happy to receive som advice.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try booting your MBP with your original install DVD. But instead of reinstalling the OS, select the top menu "Utilities", "Disk Utility". Then select the First Aid tab. Run a Verify and Repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it says.

You could also try running the Apple Hardware Test from your install DVD. See this link.

Let us know the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.