Finder not responding OSX10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I am having trouble with finder not responding at all. The computer in question is a macbook pro with 10.5.8 on it and it was recently downloading the itunes update.

Anyway finder does not respond, i have tried the following:

• Restart
  • Reload finder
  • create a new user, that account is fine
  • deleting the finder.plist file
  • permissions repair

The second user account i create is fine, the root account is fine. I am assuming there is a corrupt file somewhere in the main users account causing finder to crash constantly. I tried deleting the finder.plist file as i said above but this didnt do anything. Anyone got any suggestions before i go ahead and just back it up and reinstall the OS?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you tried booting into Safe mode ??
Shut down
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

If still unresponsive finder post back :0

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Cheers, i did try safe mdoe and forgot to mention it, that user account still has finder not responding within about 2 seconds of being at the desktop screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why reinstall the OS? Just "migrate' to a new account. I think Mac Help has some good info on doing this. Just grab Accounts from the Index.

Reaction score
I am having trouble with finder not responding at all. The computer in question is a macbook pro with 10.5.8 on it and it was recently downloading the itunes update.

Anyway finder does not respond, i have tried the following:

• Restart
  • Reload finder
  • create a new user, that account is fine
  • deleting the finder.plist file
  • permissions repair

The second user account i create is fine, the root account is fine. I am assuming there is a corrupt file somewhere in the main users account causing finder to crash constantly. I tried deleting the finder.plist file as i said above but this didnt do anything. Anyone got any suggestions before i go ahead and just back it up and reinstall the OS?

Cheers

This exact same thing happened to me, I am thinking there was something wrong with that itunes update. I cannot open Finder at all on any user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This exact same thing happened to me, I am thinking there was something wrong with that itunes update. I cannot open Finder at all on any user.

That's not what I thought I read in your thread, which I just responded to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Why reinstall the OS? Just "migrate' to a new account. I think Mac Help has some good info on doing this. Just grab Accounts from the Index.

Always find that rebuild feels better for me but will give the user the option of migrate or rebuild. cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.