Guitar picks in the CD drive (MacBook Pro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro A1278
I bought a MacBook Pro (my first Mac ever) about 3 months ago. So far, my 2 year old son has managed to stick 3 guitar picks in the CD drive. Now the drive won't work. I need to know how to take this thing apart so I can get the picks out. Anything would be helpful. Instructions or even a good link would be great. I searched the IFixIt website but couldn't find anything specific. It's a MacBook Pro 13 inch that I bought in the summer of 2010 (model A1278). Thanks again for all the help Mac guys and gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well, I don't think there are any links for such a recent machine, but it won't be too different from a 2008 model, so here's a link:

MacBook Pro disassembly

As with all of these things, be very careful with putting the screws back in the right places, best to make a template IMO.

Tip: Do not let son near guitar picks or the laptop ever again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
if it is less than a year old, you can take it to Apple store and they have a repair assistance for the same. It will not be something over the counter but a couple visits might be necessary...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro A1278
Thanks guys! I didn't even think of the Apple Store thing. I'll see what they charge. I don't want to void my warranty by cracking this thing open. If they charge too much I'll just get a little screw driver and do it myself.

Thanks for the link too. The third link is the one I needed. I have the newest model.

Thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
Can you carefully pull them out with a pair of tweezers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.