Upgrading the processor on my macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16?

Reaction score
Hey guys I am a college student currently working on my degree in computer science but haven't gotten that far yet :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my processor on my mac, I have taken computer maintenance so I know how to take it apart and not fry anything. But I am unsure as to what the macbook would support?

Currently I have it at 4gb of ram already and I am getting my way through school as a designer and running my own company(home based) and I would like to keep the money that I do earn for other things than a new macbook. I run adobe AI, PS, DW, and at times other applications at the same time and it can be a bit sluggish.

Any tips on what processors I could get? I5 or I7 would be nice :) if it's possible

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No you can't.

OP
B
Reaction score
hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?

Cause the CPU is solder to logic board.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if i unsolder it? :)

Sorry, i don't mean to be rude but i still don't see why I can't.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Good luck with that. You can try it, post back with result.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero! :D

OP
B
Reaction score
That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero! :D

oh wow, nevermind then lol

I might just open up my macbook to look, but i think I will leave the soldering to the machines...... for now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.