Technically a switch. With some questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
I have this exact MacBook Pro with identical specifications (my hardrive is 7200 RPM though. :p)

It's selling for $1,829.

Now, I would prefer to have and could also double work productivity with this iMac.

It's selling for $1,439.

First question: Why can't Apple just do a straight trade with me? They would make $390 profit off of me instantly assuming they could refurbish my laptop to their standards. Is there someone I could talk to at Apple that could potentially accommodate this trade?

Second question: If I were to make the "switch" is there a way to duplicate my hard drive on the MacBook Pro and reproduce it flawlessly exact on the iMac?

"Pardon the overzealous link usage."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I'll answer your second question first. There is an application on OS X called the Migration Assistant. You can use it to transfer your files, settings, and user accounts from one Mac to the other. Just follow connect the computers with an ethernet cable then follow the on-screen instructions. It's a pretty simple process that works remarkably well.

As for trading in the Mac, how did you obtain it? Was it from Apple directly or did you buy from a third part vendor or from another person? How old is the computer? Typically, Apple will take back a Mac purchased at one of its stores within two weeks and issue a 10% restocking charge. So, unless you bought it from them within the last two weeks, they will probably not take it back.

I suggest selling the MacBook Pro used and using the funds from that to fund the iMac purchase. You can probably get most, if not all of the cost of the MBP at this point.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
Thing is, it's a year old and now out of warranty. I guess I'll be selling it, what a hassle. Pity on Apple for not having a manufacturer's long term trade-up program. But then again it's technology. :(

Also thanks for answering J.Fo! That's really helpful, I had no idea that existed and worked that way.

With the Migration Assitant, will I have to re-install and re-activate all of my software?

All of my Logic Discs as well as Photoshop are at home 6 hours away (student here) and I have a massive amount of other downloaded software that I no longer have the installers to. I mean it's no problem if I actually do have to, I just would rather know if I need to make the trip home now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I used migration assistant once and it ported over everything from one MBP to the other
the only thing I had to do was de-authorize the iTunes on the older MBP and authorize the
new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
You won't have to reinstall all your software, but you may have to re-activate it. I'm not 100% sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.