Mac Mini Ram questions...

Reaction score
Hey there all

just a couple of quick questions about ram, i just upgraded my macbook pro to 8gb ram so i now have 2x2gb ram sticks left over, i was origionally going to sell them on ebay buuuuut now im looking at getting a mac mini for my home use and wondering if there is any difference between ddr3 So-Dimm Ram and ddr3 SDRam??

The only problem i have is it seems to say that the late 2009 mini macs take the ddr3 SDram where as the 2010 new mini macs seem to be taking the ddr3 S0-Dimm ram.... or am i totally confused and are they the same thing lol

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The RAM will work on both models of Mini, as far as physically fitting into the slots and allowing the computer to function. The only caveat would be whether the RAM is 677Mhz or 1066Mhz speed. I'm not sure what specific RAM you have, or when Apple changed the bus speed of the RAM in the Mini. You can check this easily on Apple's website by looking up the spec's on the Mini you wish to buy: Apple - Support - Technical Specifications

Offhand, if the RAM came out of a laptop that supports 8GB of RAM, then it is likely 1066Mhz RAM. This is the same RAM speed used in Mini's since at least Early-2009 Mac Minis. You should be fine.

Even if the RAM was 677Mhz, it could still work in a Mimi with a faster bus speed, but the system would run at the slower 677Mhz speed instead of the 1066Mhz speed. Then again it may not run at all. I've seen it go down both ways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.