Just got my first Mac... I really NEED something similar to Autohotkey; Help!

Reaction score
I've done plenty of searching about this topic and have tried out stuff like ControllerMate, Keyboard Maestro, and Alias Keys but I am just not sure if these can do everything that I want.

One big thing that I need is the ability to combine any two keyboard inputs to send another input (Not just being able to combine shift, ctrl, or option plus a keyboard input).

For example, one of things that I am dying without is the ability to delete the previous word by pressing delete and = at the same time.

In autohotkey this would basically be done like this (this is the summary of what the code would do):
When Delete and = are pressed together, send the input of ctrl, shift, and left together (to highlight the previous word), wait 100 milliseconds (to give it a split second to highlight it), then send the input of delete (to delete it). That way instead of waiting 3 seconds to delete a word character by character it would be done instantly, and very naturally as all I do is move my ring finger right next to delete.

If there is some Mac software that has this capability to have any combination of keyboard inputs send any other combination, in addition to being able to open applications and folders by custom keyboard combinations, I am willing to pay for it; please direct me!

Oh and one more thing it should hopefully be able to do is minimize all open windows with a keyboard shortcut, and then restore them with another shortcut. I don't understand why it's such a pain in the *** to get to your desktop with a Mac, having to minimize everything one by one just to access your desktop documents.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
F11 toddle all windows out of the way to reveal desktop
Apple + Option Click on App in dock = Hide all other apps
Option + M (yellow dot) = minimize all windows (of active app)
Option + W (red dot) = close all windows (of active app)
That's 1/2 an answer but the above are crucial for me.
System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts... lets you customize a lot too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Desktop.. Enable hot corners in System Prefs under the Expose & Spaces section.. Also check out the keyboard shortcuts (editable) in the system prefs as well under Keyboard, though I don't think you can edit "delete entire previous word".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Option + Shift + Delete = Delete previous word BTW

OP
B
Reaction score
Those are ok solutions but still not what I'm looking for. Any way to make delete and = send option shift delete?

Also, I am in a spanish class and want to be able to easily type spanish characters. How would I make ctrl+option+ a letter (or some other combo) make it the spanish form of that letter (with the dash on top for most). All this stuff was easily done in autohotkey, I'd rather not have to install/use a different service for each shortcut I want to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Option + n then n again = ñ
Option + e then e again = é
Etc.....
System prefs > language & text > input sources....
Check box "keyboard & character viewer" puts shortcut to kb viewer in menubar.
Open kb viewer and start pressing option, command etc.... and you'll see your options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Option + Shift + Delete = Delete previous word BTW

No need for the shift key to do this… simply Option + Delete will delete the previous word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.