where can i trad my old mac powerbook and get a fair deal, to buy a intel mac?

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
i would be so glad for help, i have a power pc mac, G4 and i love it, it works great but i m at the point, where i need some windows programms running, and the virtual machiens dont run on a powerbook pc mac.
Sooooo, i m looking for a trustfull company where i can trade, or send my mac in, get some money and be able to buy a new intel mac.
Please, i was searching the internet like crazy, but i m not sure ....
Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Mags

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum. Nothing to do with "Member Discounts".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sadly, with all these trade in companies, they RIP YOU OFF! I can't recommend any of them. It's better to sell it yourself than to have a company do it for you. No joke, they will most likely give you about half, if that, of what you could probably sell it for on your own!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree wholeheartedly with member idrinorbarsaku. As he stated, sell it yourself and use that money to purchase a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 2013 15" i7 2.7 16GB 500f /24" Cinema Disp /iP 4S /Mag.Mouse&Trackp/ aTV2 / ModBookC2D
no .. disagree .. `I have my new MacBook Pro 15" (3 weeks old) worth £2300 atm ..and this site is trying to convince me it is worth £1100 .. i would agree to loose 15% of current price as it is marked now as used .. but not 50%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The site gives you an excellent idea of what your mac is still worth these days.

That's a false statement...
Your mac will almost ALWAYS be worth more than what their estimate shows. They give you a low price because the have to turn around and sell it to someone else...who is willing to buy it for more than the company offered to buy it off of you for. Why not just sell it to that person who actually wants your computer? Forget the middle man!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's a false statement...
Your mac will almost ALWAYS be worth more than what their estimate shows. They give you a low price because the have to turn around and sell it to someone else...who is willing to buy it for more than the company offered to buy it off of you for.

To the best of my knowledge...Mac2Sell is NOT a reseller. Here's a quote from their FAQ section:

"Does Mac2Sell sell or buy Macintosh/iPod/iPhone ?
Our goal is not to sell or buy used hardware. We offer a free estimation of your hardware."

Mac2Sell FAQ

If this is not correct...I for one would sure like to hear about it!

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everybody,
i would be so glad for help, i have a power pc mac, G4 and i love it, it works great but i m at the point, where i need some windows programms running, and the virtual machiens dont run on a powerbook pc mac.
Sooooo, i m looking for a trustfull company where i can trade, or send my mac in, get some money and be able to buy a new intel mac.
Please, i was searching the internet like crazy, but i m not sure ....
Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Mags

iEmulator runs on PPC, but it's not exactly fast. Still, if you're running simple Windows programs and are content with running XP or lesser, it should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wasn't talking specifically about mac2sell, since all they do is give quotes. I'm talking about companies that give you an estimate to buy the computer off of you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wasn't talking specifically about mac2sell, since all they do is give quotes. I'm talking about companies that give you an estimate to buy the computer off of you.

Yes I completely agree about those companies! Like you mentioned earlier...there's no way you're going to get a "fair market value" quote for a used Macintosh computer from a business who also is in the business of buying used computers.

In your earlier post you quoted another member (post #7) who was only talking about Mac2Sell (post #4)...so I thought that your comments were solely Mac2Sell directed. Just a little confusion I guess.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I probably could've been a little clearer. ooops:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.