• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad iOS 4.2 beta changes screen lock to a mute switch

Reaction score
Doesn't the iPad already have a hardware-based orientation lock?

Reaction score
Chris, either you didn't read properly, or you misunderstood. The iPad has a hardware-based orientation lock NOW, but this whole article was about how that switch is no longer going to be used as an orientation lock. That is now a mute switch, and orientation lock is now software only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm wary as to whether the software orientation lock will work similar to how the hardware lock works. On the iPhone, it only locks into portrait mode, not landscape. I hope the iPad's version of the software lock will allow it to lock both in portrait and landscape modes.

Reaction score
With holding down the volume rocker also muting the system as it does currently, and the multitasking menu containing the orientation lock it seems I may end up never using the switch at all. I do however wish that the switch could be used to disable touch input while keeping the screen on.

(I wrote this in a longer and better phrased paragraph previously before accidentally clicking a link on my currently non-multitasking iPad. The device does have it's flaws it seems, haha)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.