• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Android users quicker than iPhone users in upgrading to new OS versions - report

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
and I would be too if I were using Android.. :Angry-Tongue::Cool:

No offense Android lovers

Reaction score
I don't blame Android users for wanting the new updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The real reason for this is because Android updates OTA (Over the air), so people get the update without going to iTunes like an iPhone. I think you can do this if you have Mobile Me, however.

Who doesn't love updates? I always love it when I get new, cool stuff for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
At least iPhone users don't have to wait for:

i) The phone manufacturers
ii) The phone service provider

to "tweek" the release to work with their phone.

The Sony Ericson X10, which has been out in the UK for months but only recently in the states, is still running Android 1.X !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I think iPhone users DO have to wait for the phone manufacturer, because they are the software developer as well!! JK, I knew what you meant. Greggles is somewhat right, but very few "enlightened" android users wait for the carrier OTAs. We get ported versions pretty quickly on the internet. When Sprint or Verizon are announcing these updates, a lot of us have had it for months. Listen, I have the Evo 4g and I love the phone...mostly because it is on Sprint. I dig paying less than $80 a month and not having to worry about any overages. Would I give up the Evo if Sprint suddenly offered the iPhone? **** yeah. I might even do it if Verizon gets it. But no way, no how for at&t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Difference in culture. Apple people are of the "I want it to just work and don't care about what's under the hood.". Where Android people tend to be the "I want the new gadget so I can screw with it and see what I can make it do type."

Case in point. I was talking to this gal I know the other day, and told here the new iOS update was out. She ask how to update, and when I told her just sync with iTunes, she said she never does that and really didn't know how to. Her phone works fine for her, so I just told her to never mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I think iPhone users DO have to wait for the phone manufacturer, because they are the software developer as well!! JK, I knew what you meant. Greggles is somewhat right, but very few "enlightened" android users wait for the carrier OTAs. We get ported versions pretty quickly on the internet. When Sprint or Verizon are announcing these updates, a lot of us have had it for months. Listen, I have the Evo 4g and I love the phone...mostly because it is on Sprint. I dig paying less than $80 a month and not having to worry about any overages. Would I give up the Evo if Sprint suddenly offered the iPhone? **** yeah. I might even do it if Verizon gets it. But no way, no how for at&t.

I take your point re: routing Android phones - I have been tempted several times to go for a Nexus One (currently still using my 3GS). Would almost certainly go for a Droid X, if Motorola launched a UK/ GSM version (highly unlikely). The nearest equivalent (Milestone XT720) doesn't compare - especially in terms of screen size.

Mind you, the mobile market is somewhat different in the UK, with both iPhone and Android phones available on virtually all carriers (or unlocked)!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Maybe this statistic of android users upgrading is like this:
"Hmmm this android version I have now is so bad I want to upgrade and hope the next one is better"

While iOS on the other hand:
"I really love this iOS. I'll upgrade when I feel like it. I'm not losing much from not upgrading. Even now with this old version I still have an excellent user experience."

Reaction score
At least iPhone users don't have to wait for:

i) The phone manufacturers
ii) The phone service provider

to "tweek" the release to work with their phone.

The Sony Ericson X10, which has been out in the UK for months but only recently in the states, is still running Android 1.X !!!!

This goes to say that some companies want to sell a cheap feature phone running older versions of Android. Although, I don't think SE is one of them, but I read a report on Engadget that described a phone that was cheap, ran Android 1.X and couldn't be upgraded beyond that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Maybe this statistic of android users upgrading is like this:
"Hmmm this android version I have now is so bad I want to upgrade and hope the next one is better"

While iOS on the other hand:
"I really love this iOS. I'll upgrade when I feel like it. I'm not losing much from not upgrading. Even now with this old version I still have an excellent user experience."

Of course, you left out the part about 3g users not upgrading or downgrading back to version 3, because 4.0 on the 3g slowed it down to a crawl. Lets quit with the BS, shall we?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange all the people I now with a 3G had their 3G working in 4.0 just fine.
And yeah sure it's a generalisation what I said but for all the people I know it rings true.

Android is not that bad really. I know I sometimes slag off at it. But it has it's fans and uses I guess :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Once again... This has nothing to do with the quality of the product. If iOS were to have OTA updates and Android was not, iPhone users would be quicker to upgrade than iPhone users. ;D

What has screwed up a lot of things for Google is that there have been FIVE OS updates since February, 2009. That is a total of SIX OS over a span of less than two years. This is compared to Apple having only TWO updates since February, 2009.

It seems like a great idea at first to have many major releases but it makes a lot of android phones get left behind in the dust. Phones can't seem to keep up with the latest and tend to leave their older phones. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Google will start updating more consistently now (like Apple does) so people won't be caught off guard, phones won't really be left behind, and OS will be more stable.

People who bash Android should try it out before disowning it. Some of you are acting like the people who come onto this forum to bash Macs even though have never given it a shot.

Why is it that iPhone users aren't eager to upgrade?
Shouldn't they be?
Maybe Apple isn't pushing out enough important/cool things if people are't excited to update - just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think it's fairly important to keep in mind that iOS updates are in keeping with new iPhone hardware (usually, unless there's a major bug, glitch, security issue etc), while Android OS updates cater more to the plethora of ever changing hardware from several different manufacturer's out there. There's a lot to be said about keeping an OS stable and updated, in that respect.

Furthermore, I see a LOT of blind Android bashing going on here. It's fairly childish, if I do say so myself. I'd personally NEVER take any advice on how good/bad an Android device is, coming from anyone who can only quote FUD from the internet. And the way it looks, that's about 100% of the people talking smack about aOS (Android OS) in this thread. Use it for more than a few minutes at Best Buy... try using it for a week or two, before talking rubbish.

Lastly... the best part about aOS ? Google doesn't make it a hassle for you to root it. And therein lies its biggest strength. Want to get rid of the crapware apps which come with your phone ? Root it. Done. Want to tether for free ? Root it, done. Etc..

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's certainly a fair number of iPhone owners who hold off on the latest version of iOS until there is a jailbreak available. Count me amongst those. In fact, 4.0 and onwards has been the first time in a long time I've been current since day 1 of an update's release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Furthermore, I see a LOT of blind Android bashing going on here. It's fairly childish, if I do say so myself. I'd personally NEVER take any advice on how good/bad an Android device is, coming from anyone who can only quote FUD from the internet. And the way it looks, that's about 100% of the people talking smack about aOS (Android OS) in this thread. Use it for more than a few minutes at Best Buy... try using it for a week or two, before talking rubbish.

Anyone else notice the irony of this coming from someone who has repeatedly bashed the iPhone 4 without ever having owned one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Anyone else notice the irony of this coming from someone who has repeatedly bashed the iPhone 4 without ever having owned one?

Go ahead and find ONE post that proves I bashed the iPhone 4. Never happened. There's a big difference in talking about the iPhone in general (because I own one) and having an opinion about why I didn't want to go with the iPhone again for reasons which are nothing BUT true. And that's all you'll find in my posts. If you want to refer to the thread where I spoke up on the fact that the new design is indeed flawed, as proof... please be my guest. That wasn't bashing.

It's just funny that some of you try and twist the words of others to suit an argument made out of anger or over sensitivity. I never bashed the iP4. And just because someone else says I did, don't necessarily make it so....

Go ahead... think different. I dare yé.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go ahead and find ONE post that proves I bashed the iPhone 4. Never happened. There's a big difference in talking about the iPhone in general (because I own one) and having an opinion about why I didn't want to go with the iPhone again for reasons which are nothing BUT true. And that's all you'll find in my posts. If you want to refer to the thread where I spoke up on the fact that the new design is indeed flawed, as proof... please be my guest. That wasn't bashing.

I'm not wasting my time "proving" anything. Anyone can make the same excuse you are for what you are calling bashing of the Android, so let's leave it at that. For someone who has self-described himself as immature, calling others "childish" is rather hypocritical. That, or you are are being sympathetic. And suggesting someone go try an Android for a week or two is rather naive. You can't just try one for a week or two... it's a two year commitment, or several hundred bucks if you already are in one. And simply trying it in the store? I have... and tried a couple that people I know have. Didn't care for it, though admittedly it's impossible to REALLY get a feel for it just by playing with it for a few minutes. 'Nuff said. Have a nice day! :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.