Power Mac G5 not connecting to wireless

Reaction score
Recently I got a Power Mac G5 with the following config from a friend.
2.5 Ghz Dual Processer,
4GB Ram,
Airport Extreme built in,
ATI Radeon 9800XT 256 MB.
Leopard 10.5.8
Safari Ver 3.0.4 (5523.10)
Router:
Dlink Wireless Router DIR 615 H/W ver D4 F/W ver 1.00VG

The first time I set it up, I had no problems connecting to the internet and it was up and running in seconds. However the next day as I tried to get on to internet, it wouldnt connect. My windows machine sitting next to it was showing excellent signal strength and is happily connected.

I have run network diagnostic a dozen times and rebooted machine and the router as suggested but nothings worked. It tries to scan and then prompts the following.
1. Do you use a DSL or cable modem to connect to the internet? - NO
2. Is there any device connected directly to your internet connection besides this computer such as a hub, switch, or router? - YES
3. Please restart the device. When it is done restarting, click continue. If you do not know how to restart the device, please consult the device Manual
(After I have switched off the wireless router and restarted after a minute or so, diagnostics scans for a while and then says this)
4. Are there any other devices such as routers, firewalls or managed switches connected directly to the device that just restarted, and between that device and this computer ? - NO
5. Newwork Diagnostics cannot fix the current networking problems. Check with your internet service provider or network administrator and make sure you are using the correct network settings
In the Network Diagnostic window I get the following indicators.
Airport - Green
Airport Settings - Green
Network Settings - Green
ISP - Green
Internet - Red (Failed)
Server - Red (Failed)
Ask to join new networks - checked
Show Airport status in menu bar - Checked
Security - WPA Personal
Remember any network this computer has joined - checked
Disconnect from wireless networks when loggin out - unchecked
Require Administrator password to control airport - unchecked
Airport ID: 00:11:24:90:63:##

TCP/IP Tab:
Configure IPv4 : Using DHCP
IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.***
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.*
Router 192.168.0.*
Configure IPv6: Off
( I have clicked on the 'Renew DHCP lease' button a few times yesterday but that didnt help either)

DNS Tab:
DNS Servers : 192.168.0.*
Search Domains: cable.virginmedia.net

WINS Tab:
NetBIOS Name: MAC0011********
Workgroup: Blank
WINS Servers: Blank

AppleTalk Tab:
Make AppleTalk active - unchecked
Apple Talk Zone - Empty (greyed)
Configure - Automatically (greyed)

802.1X Tab:
Domain- Login Window (greyed)
State- 802.1X login is enabled
Wireless Network: 'My network'
Authentication :
TTLS - checked
PEAP - checked
TLS - unchecked
EAP-FAST - unchecked
LEAP - unchecked
MDS - unchecked

Proxies TAB:
Configure Proxies - Manually
Select a protocol to configure:
FTP Proxy - unchecked
Web Proxy(HTTP) - unchecked
Secure Web Proxy(HTTPS) - unchecked
Steaming Proxy (RTSP) - unchecked
SOCKS Proxy - unchecked
Gopher Proxy - unchecked
Automatic Proxy Configuration - unchecked
FTP: Proxy Server- Blank
Proxy server required password - unchecked
Exclude simple hostnames - unchecked
Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains:
*,local, 169.254/16
Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV) - checked

I have consulted various posts where users have had similar problems and these are the things I have tried so far, but nothing has worked. I am really frustrated and I have spent two full days trying to find a solution. I even contemplated doing a full fresh re-install just to see if something got changed. Note that my internet was running happily the first day, and it is running on my windows machine without a problem. But what if re-install doesnt help ?

THINGS I HAVE TRIED SO FAR:

1. Ping my mac from my windows machine - I GET REPLY
2. Ping windows machine from mac - NO REPLY 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets recieved, 100% packet loss
3.If you are connected to the network, but have no Internet, it may be that your computer is set up with a static IP address. - IP ASSIGNED BY DHCP AND IS NOT STATIC.
4.go into Network in System Preferences and create a new location. This will give you all the default network settings. - HAVE DONE THAT AND IT PICKS UP THE NEW SETTINGS BUT STILL NO INTERNET
5.Does it work ok if you connect via ethernet cable rather than wirelessly? HAVE NOT TRIED THIS.
6.Change my wireless router - DONT WANT TO CHANGE IT TILL I AM 100% SURE THAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE ROUTER. IT WORKED THE PREVIOUS DAY.
7.Go into your router's setup menu (check your manual to learn how) and copy down the settings it's using. Broadcast channel, DNS addresses, SSID. Reset the router to factory default. Connect using ethernet cable, leave security open. Enter settings again in router and system preference.
- HAVENT TRIED IT YET
8. When I open Safari, it takes me to Apple - Start - THERE IS NO WWW ADDED IN FRONT WHICH NORMALLY HAPPENS. I AM NOT SURE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE BUT I HAVE TRIED INSERTING THAT TOO ON THE ADDRESS BAR BUT IT HASNT WORKED. WHEN I CLICK ALT AND HOVER THE MOUSE OVER THE AIRPORT ICON ON THE TOP RIGHT OF THE SCREEN, IT SHOWS THE FOLLOWING INFO :
1C:BD:B9:2E:1D:80
cHANNEL - 6
RSSI - 69
TRANSMIT RATE 36
9. I was even told that certain service providers filter Mac IPs or have restrictions. - CAN THAT BE THE ISSUE ?
10. I tried to check the resolution of my screen by watching a movie from my external hard drive. It figured later that my external hard drive was infected with malware. The Mac Spotlight was trying to index the external hard-drive.
COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT A MALWARE OR SOME VIRUS SNEAKED IN THROUGH EXTERNAL SOURCE SINCE THE FIREWALL WAS NOT ACTIVATED. IS THAT STOPPING THE CONNECTIVITY.

Guys I am totally frustrated with this problem. Would appreciate if someone could help me resolve this. I am a newbie and this problem is a huge turn off.
Shall I ask my landlord (who owns the connection) to reset the router, or will any settings need to be changed in the router?
Will it need a complete re-install ?
I tried to run Clamxav 2.0.7 to scan the mac for virus but it wants to go to internet to download updates and wudnt work otherwise.

I hope I have tried to explain everything possible. If more information is needed please let me know. Thanks guys in advance and lets hope some genius is able to crack this one!
:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Wow... you have done quite a bit of work here...

Does your Router have MAC filtering (not Mac as in the computer) But the hardware address of the airprot card in your computer..

Dose not make much sence to me seeing that a ping from your windows box works..
(unless the Mac computer is not actualy the computer that is responding.)

you have made sure your encryption keys match the router?

Last ditch effort ... change your ip address from DHCP to static something that is not already connected to the router 192.168.0.24 or something like that with subnet of 255.255.255.0 just make sure it matches the router...

let us know if that helps at all...

OP
V
Reaction score
It Worked !!

Wow... you have done quite a bit of work here...

Does your Router have MAC filtering (not Mac as in the computer) But the hardware address of the airprot card in your computer..

Dose not make much sence to me seeing that a ping from your windows box works..
(unless the Mac computer is not actualy the computer that is responding.)

you have made sure your encryption keys match the router?

Last ditch effort ... change your ip address from DHCP to static something that is not already connected to the router 192.168.0.24 or something like that with subnet of 255.255.255.0 just make sure it matches the router...

let us know if that helps at all...

It indeed was the MAC FILTERING !

I had done pretty much everything else and just when I thought I had hit the dead end with my limited intuitive knowledge of networking, your suggestion helped. I spoke to the guy who owns the connection and he went, "Oh I found the connection slowing up, and I saw some unknown computer accessing the network, so I put Mac Filtering". He wasnt aware of my new machine. He changed the setting on the router and BOOM! I was in business straightaway.
Thanks so much for the help.

Just when I thought the misery had ended, a strange thing has plagued my out-of-the-box new apple aluminum wireless keyboard. It paired fine but the moment I started typing it went bonkers repeating keys.
Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeee ttttttttthhiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss
It starts repeating from the first character itself and I cant even complete a word. Apple store hasnt been of any help like the previous problem. Have tried a few things like repairing etc but hasnt helped.

Any leads on this one ? Will be mighty help. Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.