Safari won't launch

Reaction score
Whenever I click Safari, it loads for awhile then it closes and says that Safari has closed unexpectedly. I click try again but it keeps closing (expect this time nothing loads. I just keep getting the same message.) I tried sending a report a couple of times, but that never helps. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Safari but that doesn't work either. Is there something I can do? I can't use Google Chrome because I have the older OS X server (Tiger) and Firefox is really a pain in the butt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your OS is 10.4.__
Your version of Safari is ______
(for starters)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
May want to upgrade to Safari 5.

Also... you can hold down SHIFT while clicking/opening the Safari icon/app. Does that work?

If not... Quit safari. Drag the Safari .plist file to the desktop or trash (you can recover it.. just don't empty the trash just yet).. Now open Safari... work?

The Safari .plist file is located here: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Let us know.

OP
O
Reaction score
May want to upgrade to Safari 5.

Also... you can hold down SHIFT while clicking/opening the Safari icon/app. Does that work?

If not... Quit safari. Drag the Safari .plist file to the desktop or trash (you can recover it.. just don't empty the trash just yet).. Now open Safari... work?

The Safari .plist file is located here: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Let us know.

I unfortunately can't download Safari 5 because I don't have the system requirements.
I tried your suggestions but they didn't work. Thanks for the help, though!

Reaction score
Hmm I think I found solution, the problem may be in some plugins.
If you're using the latest versions of any third-party plugins (like you are using AcidSearch)yet Safari still unexpectedly quits, try disabling plug-ins:
Open Safari.
From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.
Click Security.
Deselect "Enable plug-ins".
Use Safari for a while until you are reasonably certain it is no longer unexpectly quitting (or, if it still is quitting, skip to the next section).

write if it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
O
Reaction score
Hmm I think I found solution, the problem may be in some plugins.
If you're using the latest versions of any third-party plugins (like you are using AcidSearch)yet Safari still unexpectedly quits, try disabling plug-ins:
Open Safari.
From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.
Click Security.
Deselect "Enable plug-ins".
Use Safari for a while until you are reasonably certain it is no longer unexpectly quitting (or, if it still is quitting, skip to the next section).

write if it works.

I can't go to Safari's preferences because as soon as I open Safari, it closes. :(

Reaction score
Try this.
Go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/internet Plug-ins/ and see if you have an old plug-in causing the problem.

Also you and reset most any application by going to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and find the applications preference file and delete it.

If it doesn't work try to delete all Safari's components and reinstall oit again or even down load new setup for it, but make sure that ALL components were deleted.

I hope some of this solves your problem. If not I'll find other way :Mischievous:
Never give up my friend :Blushing:

OP
O
Reaction score
Try this.
Go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/internet Plug-ins/ and see if you have an old plug-in causing the problem.

Also you and reset most any application by going to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and find the applications preference file and delete it.

If it doesn't work try to delete all Safari's components and reinstall oit again or even down load new setup for it, but make sure that ALL components were deleted.

I hope some of this solves your problem. If not I'll find other way :Mischievous:
Never give up my friend :Blushing:

Still not working :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Try this,
Delete or move the Safari history file to the desktop.
/Users/####/Library/Safari/History.plist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I once was in an camera store that also fixed Macs when this girl came in and said Safari wouldn't launch anymore, so my interest was peaked and I listened in on the conversation.
5 Minutes later he said that he had found the problem, the Safari history file had gotten to big making Safari crash while trying to load it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.