MacBook Boot Camp Random Shutdown

Reaction score
Hello people ! I just joined the forums, I have a very big problem and i couldn't find any solution to this, I hope i posted at the right section, My big problem is that my Boot Camp shuts down every now and then, I have 20Gigs, It just shuts down without a warning, But this only happens when i play a game, from a low graphics game made in 2001 from a game made in 2007 It just closes, this happens all the time, everyday about everytime i played for 45 Minutes or less, But this problem doesn't exist on the MacBook version but the boot camp, I deleted Boot Camp partition and made another one, Still just shuts down without a warning, It think it's very odd and im in desperate need of help. Im using Windows XP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your MacBook is overheating when in Windows. Playing games can tax the CPU which creates lots of heat. The computer is designed to shut down when the heat exceeds a certain amount in order to prevent damage.

How are you using your MacBook? Do you have it on a notebook stand or flat table where the air can circulate around it? If not, try using it that way. A notebook stand also protects the computer against spills.

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh, i just have the Macbook on a table, I don't have a Notebook stand any other method i could use ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An inexpensive notebook stand can be purchased for $10 or so at places like Office Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. Buy one of those small fans (3" or 4" in diameter) and place behind the computer when it's on the stand. Let the air blow around the computer when you're playing games. Might be a bit noisy but its better than risking damage from overheating.

Reaction score
OP

A major problem is that your fans are most likely not ramping up when your mac starts to get hot. I've noticed that in boot camp with windows 7 I'll just be browsing the internet and watching a few you-tube videos and my mac starts getting pretty warm, but the fans stay at the same default speed, no matter how hard the system is running. I'm guessing that while your playing video games the cpu is throwing out so much heat that without the fans ramping up it hits 100 degrees celsius and shuts down to save itself.

A few people have recommended getting SMC fan control, starting it up in mac osx at a high fan speed, and then rebooting into windows. Sometimes the high fan speed will carry over and you then can game without worry. I haven't tried it myself but there are several threads on it already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I can't quite remember the name of the program but I think it was called MacBook key mapper or something along those lines and that had a fan control setting in there which runs on windows. I'll see if I can find it when I get back to the office.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see nothing in that mapper program which allows you to control the fan from Windows by using the keyboard. It does remap some keys and allows some additional shortcuts. It also removes the Boot Camp control panel - which is not good. If there is something that I overlooked about the program, please point it out.

As a matter of fact, as far as I know, there are no programs that can control the fans on a MacBook or MBP while running in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Inside the mapping program there should be some sliders at the bottom of the page that let you set the minimum fan speeds. I used to use it on my MacBook before I took Windows off, didn't have the bootcamp program disappear though. Might be a reinstall the apple drivers thing to get it back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, I guess I'm going to have to download it and give it a try. The program description and screenshots don't show anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.