Locked out of my Imac

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I decided to check out the parental control feature on my IMac.
Huge mistake.....

I have an admin account on my imac, and my son
's that is it. I wanted to see if I could block certain sites from coming up....

Well, I clicked to turn on the parental controls on my admin account and now it will not let me turn it off. It comes up with the login to put in account name and password, it will not take it!

I know my account name and password, but I am now stuck in parental mode with no way of turning it off?

I feel like an idiot and in the meantime I cannot do anything!

What is the best way to correct this?
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I thought you could not enable parental controls on an admin account.

Are you sure you are in your admin account or have switched back to your sons account

OP
K
Reaction score
It definately locked out my admin account, it didn't even give me a warning .

I rebooted from the start up disk using C, hoping I could make a new admin account but it would only give me an option of changing the password, I know my password so that wasn't the issue....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Been using Time Machine? If you've been making backups, just restore back before the problem occurred.

And, I agree with louishen. You should not be locked out of your Admin account by setting parental controls. ?? Try creating another admin account. Then log on to the new admin account and see if you can remove the parental controls from the original admin account that way. If not, you may be forced to reinstall.

Reaction score
Locked out of Admin Account because set Parental Controls

You can DEFINITELY be locked out because of setting parental controls. I thought I was setting them for my son's account. When I clicked them on, the box by 'Allow user to administer this computer' was unchecked. It didn't ask if this was what I wanted to do at all!

This is an incredibly poor design flaw...

So now I can not get into my preferences or do anything that requires a password. Lovely. So there is nothing to do but reinstall and lose what hasn't been backed up? No other options?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.