MAC Intell Chip - Diagnostic Software

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I am a Windows :) PC repair tech. I have recently started working at a place where we 6 MAC PowerPC and Intel, Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Anyways, I kind of always wanted to get a MAC (they are not cheap) now I have 6 that I need to support. I have learned already a few things however, my troubleshooting knowledge something does not transfer from the Windows Word to the MAC World.

I wiped the drive of a MAC and re-installed the OS (Snow Leopard). I also installed the Combo Udpate, then ran the updates.

The MAC was already having odd issues, like freezing, blue screen at boot up.
Per the request of the user I backed up the files and re-installed. The MAC is still acting oddly.

I already bought Disk Warrior, however, now I think that this is a hardware related issue. I just tried to install CS4 and it froze.

Are there any good "Free" (only because I can get it now) and paid hardware diagnostics (this I rather have since its supported by the vendor)?

Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a quick note...the "unofficial" abbreviation for a Macintosh is "Mac" not "MAC".;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're a PC tech you can apply the same techniques to trouble shooting a Mac computer. And, by the way, a Mac computer is also a PC (personal computer) which uses the same basic components as other PCs.

Freezing and blue screen at boot up are indications of a serious hardware problem.

1. Hard drive: Have you used Disk Utility to do a verify and repair on the hard drive? (Must be booted from the install or recovery DVD.) You can also use Disk Warrior to check the hard drive.

Try running the Apple Hardware Test. AHT

2. Check the memory. Best to substitute with known good modules.

3. Could be a bad GPU. (Graphics controller.) The GPU on Mac notebooks and desktops (except the Mac Pro) is soldered on the logic board (motherboard).

Since you already have Disk Warrior, you shouldn't need other diagnostic software.

OP
L
Reaction score
yes, my PC still helped and they tell me its probably the RAM or or video card, but maybe video.

I only found one CD which has TechTool Deluxe but it runs too quick and the results are clean.

Dang I just found the install CD (my luck) I will try the AHT CD.

Thanks for your input

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please keep us posted.

Also what are the basic specs on the Mac you are working on? Model? CPU Speed/Type? RAM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.