• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hurricane Season...

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm hoping this isn't the wrong place for a post like this... I'm a new member as of yesterday, so cut me a break if it needs to be moved :)

I moved to Florida last year, just after Hurricane season... So I never got a real chance to see how nasty it can get. I grew up out west in Arizona, so all this water is completely new to me. I've been watching the weather, and more and more thinking about Hurricane Igor, as well as Julia. Should this be something I should be worried about? I know this sounds totally igorant, but I'm a little perplexed as to what exactly would happen if Igor WAS to hit FL. Currently it's at a category 4, but has the potential to change into a category 5. Julia is following right behind, and went from a level 1, to a level 4 over night. I live about 10 Miles from the beach, but about 300 yards from the river. Am I just being a paranoid android here? They say as of right now, land isn't really at risk right now... but it seems most of these natural disasters are always creepers. Any input from some experienced east coasters would help put my mind at ease. Again, if this is in the wrong place... I'm sorry!

-------

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
As Bette Davis said in All About Eve. "Hang on! Its going to be a bumpy night!"

bettebumpyjpg.jpeg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been through a few Hurricanes and Typhoons (far east) and they're pretty scary. Just be sure to follow the guidelines and directions from your local disaster preparedness agency. BTW, Florida has one of the best DP agencies in the US.

The Stormpulse web site is a great place to follow TS and Hurricane movement and prediction. You'll see a colorful graph with tracks giving lat long. Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Makes you think just how serious the weather can be.

Here in England, if a storm manages to take some tiles off some roofs in Birmingham, then that gets the national news. If a tornado damages a street its a big story - that's about the extent of any tornado here.

Of course we get some extreme storms, and people get hurt and even killed but not on the scale that you people get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
I have experienced one up in northern aus (called cyclones here) and it got pretty bad but was very exhilarating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"Macbook Pro,2.66GHz i7, 8GB DDR3, 256GB Solid State Drive//iPod touch//64GB 3G iPad,
If you are that close to the beach and it is going to make landfall at a Cat 4 or 5 I would definitely prepare to evacuate. I grew up on the east coast and hurricanes above a cat 3 that will make landfall in your area are nothing to mess around with. If I were you I would put all valuables as high as possible to avoid any flood damage should it occur. Just keep an eye on the track and heed the warnings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.