MacBookPro Keyboard Backlight "Patchy Looking"

Reaction score
Hi. Okay, so it was like, a dribble of beer, a tiny amount, splashed onto my keyboard (around the YUIOP JKL NM<> section), so I instantly flipped it upside down and dried it.

So the keys work fine, but the backlight seems to be patchy, like, (turned up full), the TYU GH BNM keys are working fully, but the ones on either side (QWER ASDF ZXCV and IOP JKL: NM<>) look a lot duller.

Anyone know what this is? Becuz it seems to be both sides of the keyboard, almost symmetrical, that have gone duller, which makes me think that it's not just simply moisture in there.

Cheers x

OP
J
Reaction score
I know this seems like another "poured liquid on my Mac" type post, but everything works fine, its just some of the keyboard backlight has gone a bit dim (I can still adjust brightness fine). Any ideas on what that is? Any way of getting in there and cleaning it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know this seems like another "poured liquid on my Mac" type post, but everything works fine, its just some of the keyboard backlight has gone a bit dim (I can still adjust brightness fine). Any ideas on what that is? Any way of getting in there and cleaning it?

Probably shorted the LED that lights that area, damaging it. Aside from swapping the keyboard out (check out ifixit.com), there's not a whole lot you can do.

Reaction score
Hi. Okay, so it was like, a dribble of beer, a tiny amount, splashed onto my keyboard (around the YUIOP JKL NM<> section), so I instantly flipped it upside down and dried it.

So the keys work fine, but the backlight seems to be patchy, like, (turned up full), the TYU GH BNM keys are working fully, but the ones on either side (QWER ASDF ZXCV and IOP JKL: NM<>) look a lot duller.

Anyone know what this is? Becuz it seems to be both sides of the keyboard, almost symmetrical, that have gone duller, which makes me think that it's not just simply moisture in there.

Cheers x

imagewbl.jpg

i have tha same problem macbook late 2008 2,4 alu
i buy from ebay new backlight only an i wait it to peplace

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.