Firefox now has a security problem?

Reaction score
I'm running OS 10.6.4 with Firefox 3.6.9 (with Adblock Plus 1.2.2, DownThemAll! 1.1.10, Multi Links 2.0.0.17). I recently allowed the system to do some system update (I can't remember what, and I don't know how to check). Now I get this error message when I start Firefox:

"Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features."

And I just got this error when I tried checking my addons before posting here:
"An error occurred during a connection to services.addons.mozilla.org:443.
Can't connect securely because the SSL protocol has been disabled.
(Error code: ssl_error_ssl_disabled)"

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I looked for Firefox's profile directory and I have no idea where it is.

Incidentally, is it possible/easy to just delete Safari and avoid dealing with the updates? I never use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hi,
First try deleting cert8.db in /Users/###/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/########.default/cert8.db

If it then still won't work reinstall Firefox,
Delete Firefox from the Applications folder and reinstall it from the mozilla website.
Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable

Then see if the check addons error still persists.

As for Safari, I wouldn't delete it. It can be useful for testing problems with websites or if one browser doesn't work. (A backup browser)
But if you really want to, just deleting the Safari application should work.

OP
S
Reaction score
That worked perfectly! Coming from a Windows background, this directory tree frightens and confuses me... :)

Safari has been the backup browser for me, I guess. It seems like a waste of space because I've only used it once or twice. Even so, it's nice to have a backup.

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.