• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone's long-term future bleak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Now that's a troll of an article!

Reaction score
sounds like this guy is just gushing over open source like most linux users. I've tried linux off and on for the last few years, and it stinks. Open source would be great in a perfect world, but the world is far from perfect. I also doubt the the smartphone will replace the pc. bigger machines will always be able to hold more processing horsepower.

Reaction score
Man. Half of what he says is what any smartphone user with a brain already knows, and the other half of what he says is moot.

1. The iPhone has had a small, small number of security issues that *actually* affect the user. One I can think of off the top of my head, the others to trivial too remember.

2. Android has viruses/malware as well.
First Android Virus
Second SMS Android Trojan targets smut-seeking Russians ? The Register

3. Any security features (hardware security such as bio-ID) that haven't been implemented yet likely will be, as shown in Apple patents.

Blah blah blah

Owing in large part to the security advantages of the Linux platform it's built on, Android offers superior security on several fronts. First, applications are kept separate from each other, and are given a distinct set of permissions governing what they can and can't do. So, an Android user will know that a malicious app is suspicious the moment they try to install it, whereas an iPhone user would have no idea, very likely until the harm is done.

So has this happened to anyone? Why not? If iOS is so unsecure you'd think attackers would, you know, USE that knowledge and they'd be attacking like crazy.

I'm sure Apple only looks for illicit content and doesn't bother looking for malicious code when approving apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Read the article. This Kapersky guy is a real one of a kind. Wants to regulate the smartphones like guns? Not even my guns have fingerprint readers or gps yet! What a nut job.

OP
C
Reaction score
Man. Half of what he says is what any smartphone user with a brain already knows, and the other half of what he says is moot.

1. The iPhone has had a small, small number of security issues that *actually* affect the user. One I can think of off the top of my head, the others to trivial too remember.

2. Android has viruses/malware as well.
First Android Virus
Second SMS Android Trojan targets smut-seeking Russians ? The Register

3. Any security features (hardware security such as bio-ID) that haven't been implemented yet likely will be, as shown in Apple patents.

Blah blah blah

So has this happened to anyone? Why not? If iOS is so unsecure you'd think attackers would, you know, USE that knowledge and they'd be attacking like crazy.

I'm sure Apple only looks for illicit content and doesn't bother looking for malicious code when approving apps.

When I read that, I was like "this guy doesn't know Apple very well- or he forgot."

Apple approves these Apps by running it through their system!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Owing in large part to the security advantages of the Linux platform it's built on, Android offers superior security on several fronts. First, applications are kept separate from each other, and are given a distinct set of permissions governing what they can and can't do. So, an Android user will know that a malicious app is suspicious the moment they try to install it, whereas an iPhone user would have no idea, very likely until the harm is done.

Sorry!! Permissions, the security advantages of the Linux, I think the writer doesn't seem to be aware that the iOS is built upon MacOS, which like Linux is a Unix based OS with just that type of security infrastructure he seems to think the iPhone lacks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The article Author also forgets to mention the App approval process. If there s any malicious code in it, it will probably be picked up by Apple and will be banned from the App store. Sure the fart apps get through but they are just dumb, not iphone breaking. The real dangerous code is kept away by Apple.

And does Android have such an app approval process to weed out the ban the malicious apps from it's store?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.