• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Store update suggests 27-inch Cinema Display coming soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow that's quite the price drop...>_>"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is a good price drop, but why is it $300 more in Australia? Sounds like someone at Apple Australia is inflating the price. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is a good price drop, but why is it $300 more in Australia? Sounds like someone at Apple Australia is inflating the price. :Angry-Tongue:

Well he has been ripping us of for like ...... ever then :( No matter what product it is we have always had inflated prices, EVEN when our $ has been so strong against the US $ .... When we where at our stongest nearly 94c to your $ when the iPad came out, everyone was waiting in anticipation to see what price they would put on it, and they didnt disappointed with the HUGE inflated prices .. WE CANT WIN :(

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well he has been ripping us of for like ...... ever then :( No matter what product it is we have always had inflated prices, EVEN when our $ has been so strong against the US $ .... When we where at our stongest nearly 94c to your $ when the iPad came out, everyone was waiting in anticipation to see what price they would put on it, and they didnt disappointed with the HUGE inflated prices .. WE CANT WIN :(

Do not complain about the Australian ipad prices. We had the cheapest prices in the world (if you take into account taxes and average exchange rates) of the ipad after the US. If you want to see horrible prices try buying an ipad in the UK or Germany. Their prices are insanely high. I even made a whole topic a while back about this.

But one thing that always gets me About the Aussie prices is this:

All Apple products are made in China. And China is closer to Australia then the US. So less shipping costs. So the price makes no sense to me. Maybe it an insurance against the fluctuating currency exchange rates. So no matter how low the various currencies go compared to the US$, Apple always gets it set profit margin in the overseas markets.

Well that's my rationalisation for the high overseas prices Apple are charging.

And wow I used a lot of big words there. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Why should I consider the Apple 27in Display?

I am probably what most people would call a "fan boy". In general if you stick the Apple logo on it I will at least give it a look (and probably start to drool) but even I have my limits. So this is my question:

I am looking at repurposing a macmini (currently heart of Home Theater System) so I need to pick up a good quality monitor to use for surfing the web and photography (reviewing and editing images).

Why should I choose the Apple 27in Display over something like the ViewSonic’s VX2739WM 27-Inch 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor (available through Amazon for $349 USD)?

What do I gain/lose of significance for the $650 price difference? This is not meant as a pot shot at the Apple monitor, just trying to see if I am overlooking something in the cost/benefit equation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do I gain/lose of significance for the $650 price difference? This is not meant as a pot shot at the Apple monitor, just trying to see if I am overlooking something in the cost/benefit equation.

Apple flat panel displays are almost always of the highest quality...so you will be getting a really nice looking display. To get this high quality Apple usually uses "IPS" panels for it's displays. IPS panels are best for image quality, color accuracy and viewing angles...but on the down side...IPS panels usually have slower response times which can make video images more blurry during action scenes in games or action movies.

Most "regulars" here on Mac-Forums are well aware that Apple charges too much for ram upgrades...the same goes for Apple monitors! If someone gave me an Apple display...I certainly would take it & use it:)...but I would probably never buy one (at least not brand new)...because of the really high price. If I were a person who worked in the video, photography, or graphics industries...and I needed really accurate color reproduction...than an Apple monitor would probably be a good idea & worth the price.

For the "average" computer user...a nice Dell, HP, or "no name brand" 24" monitor for under $200-$250 bucks is a great choice.

Just my humble opinions of course,;)

- Nick

p.s. FYI...the resolution of the Apple 27" monitor is 2560 by 1440 versus the 1920 x 1080 of the Viewsonic monitor you mentioned.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks, Nick.

I had pretty much arrived at the same conclusion, but wanted to make certain I wasn't overlooking something that would justify (to me) the additional cost.

Higher resoloution on my pictures would be nice, but since it is highly unlikely that anyone is ever going to pay me for them I will forgo the investment. :)

Reaction score
Currently on 24" so 27" wouldn't be that much of a jump. But display quality is usually very high :Blushing: i'll check it out if I happen to see it in a store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently on 24" so 27" wouldn't be that much of a jump. But display quality is usually very high :Blushing: i'll check it out if I happen to see it in a store.

Display resolution on a typical 24" display is 1920 x 1080. You'll even find larger computer displays (25", 26", etc.)...and they will still be 1920 x 1080. So larger diagonal size does not always mean a bigger resolution.

The Apple 27" display is one of the few display's that actually "kicks up" the resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1440.

This is actually a pretty big jump...2560 x 1440 is slightly more than a 33% increase in screen resolution from 1920 x 1080. The diagonal screen size going from 24" to 27" for the Apple display is really not the key measure (although it is important)...it's the screen resolution (2560 x 1440).

- Nick

Reaction score
I don't see why Apple needs to make a 27" display. There is already a 30" display although it is nice to have a monitor that is like the current iMac monitors.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see why Apple needs to make a 27" display. There is already a 30" display although it is nice to have a monitor that is like the current iMac monitors.

The Apple 30" display was discontinued July, 2010. The 27" Apple display is now the largest monitor Apple sells.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.