bootcamp XP and fusion win7 issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro13"
hope someone can help

I'm running snow leopard and have fusion installed using Win7 64-bit and Office 2007. I've also set-up a bootcamp partition using XP.

The reason I have done this is that although once I sorted some issues out with Fusion's speed of operation (solved by increasing both RAM allocation and hard disk allocation by 50% from base recommendation eg 1524 mb RAM and 60gb hard disk) there's still a few programs I've got that will only work with pure PC eg Aust Tax Office e-tax.

I was under the assumption that as I set-up XP with FAT I'd be able work with files that are currently shared bewteen OSX and Fusion ie Documents folder, in XP as well. However, while I can see all the document folders and files I still can't do what I want. That is, I can drag an XL file from Documents to the bootcamp desktop but it won't let me put them back in. In bootcamp can open, change and save a word-type file created in NeoOffcie is OSX but I can't place a PDF I've downloaded in bootcamp into documents.
When I try to open an office file from bootcamp that is in documents Word opens but then it says it can't open it because of a partitions problem.

In OSC I have opened Get Info of the Documents folder, ticked Shared folder, and also allowed 'everyone' 'adminsitrators' 'bootcamp' and 'brian-pc' to read & write to the file but this hasn't helped.

I'm now suspecting that even though the bootcamp is FAT32 that as OSX and Fusion/Win7 is using NTFS, this is actually the reason for my sharing problems and that I should just give up on the matter. Any commnets or suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

I'm now suspecting that even though the bootcamp is FAT32 that as OSX and Fusion/Win7 is using NTFS, this is actually the reason for my sharing problems and that I should just give up on the matter. Any commnets or suggestions?

I don't think it's a matter of FAT-32 versus NTFS as the reason you can't move the files. Windows 7 can read and write to both NTFS and FAT-32 so that shouldn't matter. OS X (assuming you're using Leopard or Snow Leopard) can read and write to FAT-32 but not NTFS without some sort of driver.

I believe your problem is occurring because of the convoluted setup that you chose. Why do you need to have Win 7 running in a VM while XP is using a native Boot Camp partition? Unless there is some reason for having both, why not run Windows 7 from Boot Camp or not run XP at all? Or, setup two VMs in Fusion: One for Win 7, the other for XP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.