Used 15" Powerbook Purchase Questions

M

manimoney

Hi,

I have found a 3 month old 15" PB going for the same price as a new 12". I think it is a great deal but am reluctant to buy the used one. I have heard of several problems with white blotches, dead pixels, battery problems. As this is my first Mac I'd like it to be mint.

Can you guys please give me an idea of things to look out for when inspecting the laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
If I were in your situation, most of my attention would be directed toward the previous owner of the PB. Do you know him personally? If not, talk to him and find out as much about him as possible, try to figure out if he has taken care of it like he should have.

Another question I'd be asking is why is he getting rid of it after only 3 months. If you find he takes care of his valuables favorably and maybe he is only getting rid of it to upgrade to something else, then I'd say go for it. Things like dead pixels and battery problems should not be an issue in a 3 month old machine. But to repeat myself and stress my point, my biggest concern would be finding out about the previous owner and his reason for selling it. Good luck!

OP
M

manimoney

She says she is selling to downgrade to the 12" model for portability reasons. It seems valid to me.

When I inspect it I just want to know what to be looking for. Also she says she is a MAC professional and can install any software I want on it. I am knew to MACS so what would be some sweet things to install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
manimoney said:
She says she is selling to downgrade to the 12" model for portability reasons. It seems valid to me.

When I inspect it I just want to know what to be looking for. Also she says she is a MAC professional and can install any software I want on it. I am knew to MACS so what would be some sweet things to install?

Final Cut Pro ;) if you into video editing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
Creative Suite 2 is also a really great thing to have installed. I have the 15" and love it. You can't go wrong with a PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
OP
S

SErgini0

Big Mike said:
Creative Suite 2 is also a really great thing to have installed. I have the 15" and love it. You can't go wrong with a PowerBook.

I can't agree more. I was surprised that I didn't need my 20" screen attached to my 15" PB to work properly on CS2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
SErgini0 said:
I can't agree more. I was surprised that I didn't need my 20" screen attached to my 15" PB to work properly on CS2

lol, usually I hook my 17" PB up to my 52" TV when I'm doing CS2. The resolution is nowhere near that of a real monitor, but it's perfect for sticking all of my toolboxes and stuff in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.