Mac G4 will not boot into Tiger

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a problem with a 2002 Mac G4 (Quicksilver).
I have recently pulled out an old Mac G4 and installed Tiger. Everything was going fine, all the updates installed etc. Until the G4 became unresponsive. I was forced to reboot the G4, but it would not load past the grey Apple screen with the loading icon. I attempted to use the disk repair function off the Tiger install disk with no success. I therefore removed the HDD and replaced it with a brand new one (IDE) to see if the HDD was the problem. I installed Tiger and everything was fine. But now the same problem has occurred. The OS will not load up. I again attempted a repair with the Tiger disk but to no avail. I then researched some more, and found a program called Diskwarrior 4. Again I was unsuccessful in fixing the problem. Diskwarrior informed me that the repair had failed. I have tried to boot into safe mode to disable all of the start-up programs, but a message appears saying “Panic: We are hanging here” and that I need to reboot. I have also tried to boot in to single user mode, but a message appears saying "Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2".

So I have ruled out the HDD, is it possible that an update is causing the issue? Or perhaps it is another hardware issue. But if it was, then why is it that I have no issues running Tiger for a while? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Main Specifications:
Mac G4 Quicksilver
2Gb RAM
80Gb HDD
CD/DVD Combo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Hate to say this but sounds like you have a failing logic board. Have a read of this and it does sound like your problem. Also have you considered replacing the IDE cable from the logic board to the hard drive?

Mac: Signs of a Bad Logic Board | eHow.com

If you are using another Mac, go to the Apple Hardware Test page at this link, download the G4 Apple Hardware Test. Drag the .dmg file to the desktop, then to the left hand column of Disk utility. Pop in a CD and hit the burn button. Boot from the AHT holding down 'C" after the chime and see if the test will run. It tests logic board, memory, graphics etc.

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.