question about the new apple tv

Reaction score
I am between the new apple tv and the boxee box. I have netflix, and use it a fair amount, but my biggest use for a media player will be streaming videos I have downloaded online (yes mostly torrents), of which are avi files.

since apple tv has no usb, my setup would be an external hd attached to an airport extreme. Would the apple tv be able to read them off of the network? Would it be able to read avi files ( i have read it only will play mpeg4 files, in which case converting some many files would be a hassle)

thanks to any and all advice

Reaction score
this is a great question, i was wondering the same thing my self. I have the Time Capsule, so i was wondering if i can do that from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope, AppleTV can only handle files that use the format supported by iTunes (i.e. MP4; h.264)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Nope, AppleTV can only handle files that use the format supported by iTunes (i.e. MP4; h.264)

And that will be the deal breaker for me… when I hook an Apple product up to my Home Theater, it's going to have to be a Mac Mini for me… long live VLC!! :D

ps.. Hi Kash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
It will when you throw perian on it ;) - I am mostly confident it'll happen.

OP
Z
Reaction score
yea its definitely a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to play any files i can play on my computer, on my tv. I have no doubt that it will be jailbroken and whatnot, but I dont understand why apple cant just give us multiple file playback. I would buy it, no problem, if it could do that simple task......perhaps one day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Same here, I have a 4TB video collection, I'm not about to convert all of them to h.264 just for an AppleTV. I'm getting myself a Dell Zino HD once it's updated to the faster specs that were announced last month and run XBMC.

Reaction score
Back to the original question, the Apple TV 2 cannot stream directly from NAS or a drive plugged into an airport extreme. You have to get your content loaded into iTunes which means no AVI support. To my knowledge there is no solution to displaying AVI on ATV2 without converting to mp4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.