Word to pdf (acrobat pro) question

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to export a .doc in word (via print to PDF), this works fine except the bookmarks (internal hyperlinks) do not remain active.

I've search high and low today for advice and help, and searched deep in this forum and I can't find the exact answer.

There might be an acrobat toolbar option in Word, but I can't even find the option to activate the toolbar, despite following the official instructions. It seems that in a youtube tutorial the windows versions of the software there is an export option that gives you a hyperlink box to tick, but I can't find that if it exists.

Many thanks if you can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This is more discussion than answering your query, but here goes .....

I've tried to replicate what you're doing, and it seems to have worked, with the hyperlink remaining active in .pdf [MSOffice/Word 04 and Adobe Acrobat Pro]. The link was however to an external (www) site.

Are you using the full hyperlink designation, ie. http://www.xxx.yyy or are you abbreviating it by leaving out the http://? Word sets the link either way, but I'm not sure about Acrobat.

By "internal hyperlinks", do you mean as in Wikipedia, where clicking on a link jumps the page to that section, not to a separate page (or external link)? I don't know that Acrobat has that facility. Do internal hyperlinks use the www designation? [I'm no html expert!]

In Word, there's a little arrow head at the very end of the Standard toolbar. Clicking that Arrow reveals a menu with two web references, one of which says Hyperlink. Is that of any use?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.