• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Digital Camera Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
Who makes the best digital cameras? In my opinion i think Canon does but i would love to hear what others say...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Canon definetly makes the best digital camera, my dad owns a camera store and canons make up most of his stock...However, coming in a close second i would say that sony's aren't that bad either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Canon
Nikon
Olympus
Sony

Minolta makes very good 35mm but doesn't have very good digital

I have a Digital Rebel and might trade up for the XT as my digital and a Canon A1 35mm which are both excellent

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like has been said already, Canon is great and so is Nikon. Olympus has some very nice digital cameras and so does Sony. If you want top of the line, Canon and Nikon are the way to go. I would probably go with Canon for myself if money was no object.

It's sad that Minolta's Digitals are not the greatest. As trpnmonkey41 stated, their 35mm are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea I have a DiMage7 which takes nice pictures but the interfaces are aweful, it feels poorly made and it takes around 6 seconds to take a picture.

I have my Digital Rebel, the DiMage7, an Olympus C-720 and a Canon SD230 and find I hardly ever use the DiMage7. The Digital Rebel is fantastic for sports photos. I use my C-720 up at school since I didn't want to bring up the Rebel there and the SD230 is great when you want to have a camera but don't feel like carrying a huge thing.

B

badmojo

My vote goes to Nikon. I've used Olympus, Sony, and Canon. Unfortunately, I had real problems with the picture quality on the Canon. If you're going high end, check out the Nikon D100.

T

Tel

Canon and Nikon are pretty much the at the front of the pack but trying to argue over which is best is pretty pointless, its generally considered as a matter of opinion.

I own a Canon 300D and a few 35mm SLR's, I've been extremely happy with how my 300D performs and my next Camera will certainly be a 20D (I can't see the point in upgrading to XT) I doubt I'll ever get a Nikon because I wont be able to use my EF lenses and so will have to buy a whole lot of Nikon lenses (which are generally more expensive than the camera)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think Sony makes the best consumer end products and Canon and Nikon makes the best higher end products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
no no no no its all Leica i think they make the best digicameras period...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
no no no no its all Leica i think they make the best digicameras period...

That is interesting you would bring up Leica. I for the past few days have been thinking of them and wondering if they made a Digital camera. A very close pro photographer friend of mine from the past loved Leica's and swore by them and Nikon's. I know the 35mm Lecia's are great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.