• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The “Verizon iPhone” Versus “The iPhone On Verizon’s Network”

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

A very good read. And it makes me think that CDMA Vs GSM is not the issue why Verizon never got the iphone. As the article suggests Verizon probably wanted their apps on the iphone and their OS on the iphone and their app store so they can make the profits from it. And Apple rightfully so told them to jump in the lake. Proof of this is all the crapware on other Verizon smartphones when you purchase them.

Will Verizon ever allow the iphone to be in their network with Apple and not themselves in control of the OS and appstore? I don't know. If I was Verizon I'd be letting Apple know we will do anything to have the iphone. As there is a gold mine if users just waiting to switch from AT&T.

If Verizon asked for a Verizon Appstore and Verizon OS on the iphone when Apple initially pitched the product to them then Verizon are idiots and I'm glad Apple told them to jump in the lake. Apple know how to make a good OS, a good UI and a good customer experience on the product. Verizon just let Apple do all of that and you'll get your iphone. If not and you want to be on your fat high horse then we'll never see an iphone officially on the Verizon network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
I'm not sure... but would releasing the iPhone to Verizon customers also hurt the Droid sales for the CDMA providers... and if Verizon could not brand their apps.... that would be a losse of $$ too... Apple wants to control every asspect of the iPhone apps, music, movies, and books... why would they let that go? When they have a very good thing going with AT&T...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To me Apple don't care what network the iphone is on as long as Apple have control over every aspect of the phone. And since AT&T was the only one to allow this, they got the iphone. And sure Verizon would lose some droid sales. But they'd get those back in iphone sales. And they'd also get the crowd who have no smartphone too. Cause I know some people who do not own a smartphone and will only every buy one if it's an iphone and not on AT&T.

So it's a trade off if Verizon get the iphone. I think it'll be about even for them. And I'm glad Apple control every aspect of the phone. Cause Verizon could not do as good of a job as Apple did. And they'd screw the excellent user experience the iphone is now.

Reaction score
I wish that Verizon wasn't so dang controlling, but at the same time their controls have never really interfered with my day to day life. Verizon knows they have a great network, but sometimes they forget there is more to a network then just coverage. Verizon customer service is horrible not because of their employees, but because of their corporate structure and the way they do things.

I try to avoid actually going to a physical store unless I absolutely have too.

-Nate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
So basically, the gist of the story is that both Apple and Verizon are too centered upon themselves to reach any compromise? Sounds about right.

Reaction score
I have a VZW phone. I hate it. The ugly UI, V CAST, Media Center (formerly Get It Now)…I don't (want to) see that crap on the iPhone. I mean, AT&T has apps on the App Store. If Apple goes on multiple carriers in the US- how would these Apps be differentiated between carriers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
So apparently, Verizon needs to "open up" enough (so to speak) to be allowed the addition of the iPhone's "walled garden" model (as they say)? Interesting dynamic to say the least. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If you think about it,Put yourselves in Verizon's shoes back when this all went down probably sometime in 2004 or 2005, This company (Apple) comes to you and says hey we want to completely design a phone for you from the ground up, But you can't have any say,input,control...etc on the project, Heck were not even going to let you see the phone. Granted looking back now it was a bad choice. What was Verizon to do? At the time Apple had NO experience making mobile phones, it's not like this was RIM,Motorola or Nokia coming to Verizon with this request. Verizon wasn't going to budge, Cingular/At&t was more than happy too.

Everyone keeps talking about the "Verizon iPhone" as if they are the only other carrier in the U.S. I have a feeling when and if the iPhone goes multi-carrier in the U.S. it's going to be available on all carriers. It isn't a major overhaul either RIM,Nokia,Samsung,HTC,LG,Sony have all been making phones for both GSM,CDMA with multiple frequencies for all carriers for several years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Can't view the article at work, right now, but I'm curious where all of this verizon app store and all that junk comes from.

Yeah, when I had a crappy flip phone everything was from get it now...however, I believe that android has it's own store, and I know that my blackberry has it's own app store. In fact, you have to use back doors to get any verizon downloaders, except for one ringtone downloader.

Reaction score
When they have a very good thing going with AT&T...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That one made coffee come out my nose. Using the words "good" and "AT&T" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I owned an iPhone last week for about 18 hours before I went back to the Verizon store, got a new phone from them, and reinstated my service. Between the non-existent coverage (in Roanoke Virginia - in town - a city of 300,000 people) and AT&T's incredibly rude, inept, and downright lousy customer service (I could tell you stories from that 18 hours), as far as I'm concerned, Steve Jobs can keep his iPhones and his AT&T buddies too.

As soon as a CDMA/Verizon iPhone is available, I will buy another one. But not until then. AT&T is a pathetic excuse for a mobile provider as far as I'm concerned. Another incredibly dumb Apple idea (like the hockey puck mouse).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That one made coffee come out my nose. Using the words "good" and "AT&T" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I owned an iPhone last week for about 18 hours before I went back to the Verizon store, got a new phone from them, and reinstated my service. Between the non-existent coverage (in Roanoke Virginia - in town - a city of 300,000 people) and AT&T's incredibly rude, inept, and downright lousy customer service (I could tell you stories from that 18 hours), as far as I'm concerned, Steve Jobs can keep his iPhones and his AT&T buddies too.
As soon as a CDMA/Verizon iPhone is available, I will buy another one. But not until then. AT&T is a pathetic excuse for a mobile provider as far as I'm concerned. Another incredibly dumb Apple idea (like the hockey puck mouse).

Your attachement to Verizon is your choice but your comments seem to indicate that you may simply be trolling.

I live in the Greater Southern California area and my experience has been vastly different than yours. To top that off I have used my iPhone (3G then 4) in the following areas within the last 6 months:

Norfolk, Va
Virginia Beach, Va
Richmond, Va
Washington DC
Baltimore Md
NY City, Ny
Honolulu Hi
Los Angeles Ca
San Diego Ca
Santa Barbara, Ca
Portland, Me
Freeport, Me
Bar Harbor, Me
New Orleans, La
Gulfport, Ms
Pascagoula, Ms
Biloxi, Ms
Houston, Tx
Mayport, Fl
Jacksonville, Fl

...without issue, loss of signal or dropped calls. Not every area had 3G service though. AT&Ts service and coverage nationwide has VASTLY improved in the 2 years that I have been with them and I have found both their web-site AND their customer service to be superior to Verizons rude idiots in every way (was with Verizon for 6 years prior to switching).

Sorry you had a bad experience in ONE area of the country, I've had good ones in multiple areas of the country. At this point I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

When I first had Verizon, I couldn't keep a signal in my apartment. When I moved to where I live now, they didn't even have service here. I eventually switched to AT&T and couldn't be happier. When Verizon gets the iPhone, I won't so much as blink. Verizon is a pathetic, overhyped excuse of a mobile carrier. So nyah!

Reaction score
There was a great article on the history of the iPhone and AT&T (link was posted around here somewhere). The key is the cellular providers' fear of just becoming "dumb pipes." Verizon's entire business model is built on avoiding being a "dumb pipe." That's why, throughout their history, they have disabled features of phones so they could sell their version of the function (this is the primary reason I left them). Verizon doesn't want to just be a carrier of digital signals (even if they have a better network as they claim -- which, FWIW, has not been my experience where I travel). This seems entirely at odds with Apple's view of the iPhone - so I don't know where this ends up.

iPhone will ultimately come to Verizon, I think, simply because AT&T just can't seem to provide a network equivalent to the demands of the iPhone. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the negotiations between Verizon and Apple. In the end, I hope there are several choices for providers with the iPhone -- that would spread the data network demand out and improve it for everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
iPhone will ultimately come to Verizon, I think, simply because AT&T just can't seem to provide a network equivalent to the demands of the iPhone. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the negotiations between Verizon and Apple. In the end, I hope there are several choices for providers with the iPhone -- that would spread the data network demand out and improve it for everyone.

I agree once the At&t deal is over, I think all the major U.S. carriers will have the iPhone most likely all at the same time. At which point we'll probably see some competitive plan prices. I think Sprint & Tmobile would both be more than happy to meet Apples demands.

Reaction score
I've been with verizon for 15 years, and they've never put out a product to get me excited. Their phones and interface are not very impressive, and the ATT iPhone plans are outrageous. I agree that seeing the iPhone on all major networks would really be the best move for everyone... everyone except ATT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.