Warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
hey all!

i'm sending in my computer to get a crack on the lid fixed, but i need to ask a few questions. Do i need to erase any *ahem* questionable items on my computer? Like limewire and bittorrent and all the files i've got with them? Will apple search my files? Should i back up my hardrive and then delete these files from it?
thanks
peter

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That a good question. I know, I would back up the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I would back up my system. and just for security reasons (personal information) I would erase my HD and then use a program to write over it with senseless data. like FileSalvage.. you never know who has access to your computer.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i can't delete just these limewire files and bittorrents? i just don't want apple to see these and then sue me for illegal downloading...there really isn't any other sensitive information on the computer that i would mind them seeing

T

Tel

I'm pretty sure that you could sue them for invasion of privacy if some technician started trawling through your hard drive.

Consider this, if the police want to look through your hard drive, they have to apply for a warrant from a judge so why would Apple be allowed to look through it without your permission if you're sending it in for a cosmetic fault. Also, lets say that you have downloaded some music illegally, the only people who can attempt to sue you, is the record label artist or organization such as the RIAA.

I'd say you'd be fine, but if you're still worried, just back them up and delete them just to be on the safe side.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
ok good..i'll check that out

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Invasion of privacy charges often arise from searches of people, their personal belongings and their work space; electronic monitoring (phone calls, computer activities and files); surveillance; the maintenance of personal records (especially medical files); and various forms of testing (drug and alcohol, psychological and genetic). These activities are generally legal when undertaken in a non-offensive manner and with a legitimate business purpose.

do you think this would count for my computer?

EDIT: forgot the link!

http://www.allianceonline.org/FAQ/risk_management/what_is_our_risk_for.faq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
cant you just filevault? like they said in their demo.. nothing can crack it.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
iWonder...you're one smart person!

except, on apples website it says i mist disengage all passwords for the warranty service..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well when you go to get it serviced, i see you have an ibook, ask them if you need to turn off filevault. and its just the lid right? i doubt theyll go into your computer

X

xthisisRomancex

The big thing here is not limewire or bittorrent/.. becasue those programs arent illegal...
The thing that you should be worried about is All of ur personal info. In most cases all of you passworlds are in keychain and all of your information is there as well.. The chanses are slim but IMO, i woold back my sytem up and us a program to write stuff over it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is this one option.. tear out your harddrive and give it to them to repair the lid, then when they give it back and say "its really light, we checked inside and there was no hard drive!!" you respond "i know retard! i dont want you stealing my por------ personal info." then take it and run.. far away.. oh and dont forget to put the hardrive back in

X

xthisisRomancex

That is the worst idea ever.. opening ur ibook to change the hard drive will VOID your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its sarcastic......... mayby i shoulda added a j/k at the end...... *sigh* im so misunderstood

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
wait i like iwonder's idea...i can say i bought it without a hardrive!

EDIT: that won't work bc they're gonna ask how i've been using it without a hd!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
youve been running off the ram.. LOL!!!! hey.. it IS memory. just say, "so thats why nothing would save!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That would give you some kickbutt boot times..... *looks at PB... ponders*

T

Tel

macAttack said:
do you think this would count for my computer?

EDIT: forgot the link!

http://www.allianceonline.org/FAQ/risk_management/what_is_our_risk_for.faq

Defiantly does, that site states that "Invasion of privacy charges often arise from searches of people, their personal belongings and their work space; electronic monitoring (phone calls, computer activities and files)," so providing that this is the law of your country and state then you'll be fine. Unless of course, the Apple terms and conditions state that they will have access to everything on your hard drive when you send it into them, this is very, very doubtful (and I really can't be bothered to read their terms and conditions) A reputable like Apple wouldn't use something like that, but if they did then technically they could bypass this law.

Also, unless you had any illegal Apple software they probably couldn't do anything anyway. I believe that only the company who's copyright you are breaching can actually file a suit and press charges against you. So lets say you had an illegal copy of photoshop, only Adobe would be able to actually file a suit against you. Lets say Apple did discover an illegal copy of photoshop, and they did tell Adobe about this then they would then be breaching the law by providing your personal information to a third party (unless of course they had this in their terms and conditions too which is a stupid idea but I can't say for sure because I haven't read all of their terms and conditions)

Remember though, the law varies a lot depending on where you live so don't take my advice as fact, if you're still worried, just back them all up.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
thanks tel....that all makes since...i doubt they'll look at my harddrive anyway...but just in case

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.