• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Acer: Apple products are "mutant viruses"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Acer? Hahaha.

My Acer Netbook lost it's Bios all by itself. Nothing. Screen would not even light! I searched google and found 1000's with the same issue and a fix that you had to do completely blind as the display would not light using a Flash Drive with new Bios code. Then the LCD looks like it broke out with the Measles. Found that was a common issue also and Acer refused Under Warranty to fix the LCD issues.

So if I were Acer I would not be calling Apple stuff a Mutant Virus! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think he is missing the point.

Apple is creating mindshare with its great products, Acer and its Microsoft partner are just not as cool and leading edge. Also Acer can innovate all it wants, it is still tied down by what the "open platform" that is Windows has got to offer.

It also helps that both Acer and Microsoft are getting worse at consumer marketing and advertising, MS were once strong in this field but have let Apple regain its marketing savvy while just releasing almost embarrassing campaigns to promote the Windows PC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Acer is a bargain basement commodity PC assembler and peripherals company. Their only claim to fame is that they're cheap. That's a fantastic business model until someone comes along and starts making better PCs and peripherals even cheaper.

This is akin to Hyundai knocking BMW because they sell more cars.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Acer is a bargain basement commodity PC assembler and peripherals company. Their only claim to fame is that they're cheap. That's a fantastic business model until someone comes along and starts making better PCs and peripherals even cheaper.

Yes it is a fantastic business model. Until you realise Apple sell way less numbers of computers and make way more profits. They are 2nd most valuable company in the world (Apple) for a reason you know. So maybe making the cheapest junk on the market is not the best way to make a profit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes it is a fantastic business model. Until you realise Apple sell way less numbers of computers and make way more profits. They are 2nd most valuable company in the world (Apple) for a reason you know. So maybe making the cheapest junk on the market is not the best way to make a profit.

Yeah, the point this guy misses is that no one buys an Acer because they make a fantastic product. No one buys a Big Mac because it's a fantastic hamburger either, but at least McDonald's comes up with a new sandwich now and then or a decent cup of coffee. Acer just regurgitates the same old craptastic product, and sells it cheaper than HP or Dell can.

Acer didn't arrive at their spot in the market because they had a better distribution system (ala Dell), nor did they do so by being a well known name in technology (HP). They came to the forefront by being the cheapest also-ran.

Hopefully one day people will wake up and shop for PCs the way they shop for cars - looking for the best balance of features, reliability, quality and price. Acer only excels in one of those categories.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree 100%. And if people did shop for PC's that way I see Apple's market share rising substantially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I seriously just laughed out aloud in a Caribou Coffee when I read this,
" While initially successful, the approach would eventually be defeated by competition that "evolves naturally" and becomes "immune" to the Apple effect, the executive insisted."

Funny thing this statement was! Last time I checked, companies were drinking coffee 24/7...even copying...coughMSFTcough...what Apple brings out. How long has it been since something from Apple has fallen back by this natural evolution theory crap? None from my knowledge. The iPod brought the digital music industry to new levels, and is still, VERY FAR in the lead. Mac computers are amongst the most reliable there are. Customer service can't be beaten, with the exception of private builders. What is one good thing that, Acer, of all those companies, has brought to the table? I know the quick answer...a lump of doodoo! I will now forever see Acer as a complete joke of a company!

I seriously think these CEO's are going mad over Apple's success!
"Evolves naturally," my rear!! There is a reason everyone and their grandma know about a new release from Apple, while being the complete opposite for almost EVERYONE else! The people who buy it choose what they want to be interested in.

One last thing, I promise! I believe the, "evolves naturally," statement has absolutely everything to do with their companies seeking extremely low computer prices, which in turn lowers the profit margins, which *naturally* makes the time between a new device significantly longer than Apple's, who's prices are higher while also having higher grade builds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No one buys a Big Mac because it's a fantastic hamburger either

but, but...I think it's delicious...I think it's fantastic...I think it's...yummmmmmyyyyyyy.
Hold on, I gotta go get one now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.