ipod touch wont stay connected to wifi

Reaction score
I know there have probably been lots of threads with simular problems but there are just too many to search through them all, so it would be great if someone could be kind enough to help

My sister has just had an 3G ipod touch for her birthday and I have been given the task of setting it up for her.

I have followed the instructions on how to connect it to wifi and entered the correct password to connect to the router.
The router does use MAC filtering so I have also added the ipod's MAC address to the routers access list.

The wifi icon appears in the status bar for a couple of seconds, I go into safari to and try to visit a web page. The icon then disappears and the ipod says safari could not access the page because it could not connect to the internet.

In addition, 9 times out of 10 my router ends up dropping out when I try to this. So I was wondering if the problem was with incompatability between the router (ZyXEL prestige 660HW-T1) and the ipod or if there was something I could do.

If you could reply ASAP that would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
A few questions...

Is her iPod brand new?

Did she buy is from Apple or an authorized Apple re-seller?

What version iOS (the Apple operating system) is on the iPod? The latest version is 4.1. You can tell what version number you have by tapping on Settings | General | About and look for the Version.

The first thing I would do is hook it up to a computer (ideally her computer) and run iTunes. If the iPod does not have the latest version iOS, that is where you can download and install it. It should be her computer or the one she will be using because an iPod can only be sync'd to one library at a time.

Start with these things and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Had a very similar problem with an iPad that one of our users just had to have on my network.. it would work for a while and then just loose connectivity ... called apple and they said that it was a problem with WEP encryption that I needed to up grade my entire system to WAP... and yes I also utilize Mac filtering and hidden ssid. .. Not sure if this will help you or not.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you both for getting back to me

1991-C4 -

Yes it is brand new, and was brought from Argos.
I have just updated her iPod again, so it now has version 4.1 iOS, but it hasn't made a difference. Its still having difficulty staying connected.

csegeek -

I had heard that upgrading from WEP to WPA might sort out the problem, however, as far as I can tell its already WPA. Although I cannot be 100% sure as I did not set up the network, but I'm pretty sure it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I had problems getting my WiFi to work with a Netgear router I bought at BestBuy. Same types of symptoms. I bit the bullet, returned the Netgear router, and bought the Apple router and have not had any problems since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.