Can a g5 still hang??

Reaction score
I'm looking to trade some camera gear for a g5 on craigs list. This computer will hopefully be replacing a Dell xps720 2.4 c2d. Can I expect better performance with lightroom and cs5 on a g5 dual 2.5 or newer. Orshould I just stay away from power pc all together. I,m. Looking just for light editing and storage for my pictures, and maybe a little video from my 7d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
CS5 & LR3 are both Intel only. I run CS4 & LR2 on my dual 1.8, and while it's no speed demon I can still be productive.

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 dual, and I would buy a more current Mac for CS5 & LR3. I can run CS3 and LR 2 alright. But, I'm looking at getting a newer iMac now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
As Fodge and Migraine have stated CS5 will not run on the PPC G5 processor. I think even After Effects CS4 will not run on the G5 either .. you would be stuck with some CS3 and CS4 to make it run... If your looking for cutting edge better to go with the Intel Processors.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get performance equal to my Dell xps. Now my 17 2.5 MacBook pro will run circles around the Dell using handbrake and ripping video. And if it doesn't work out then the Mac g5 can replace the 933 g4 I have for music in the garage. I,m happy with lr2 and if I need cs5 I have it on my mbp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.